Talk

Advanced search

I need to boast - EBM

(8 Posts)
confuddledDOTcom Sat 04-Jun-11 20:40:11

My baby was born on Wednesday at 34 weeks via VBA2C. She was taken straight to the unit as there were no beds together. I attempted to breastfeed her but my nipple was too big and she got fed up.

Expressed once on Thursday and got 6ml which was a full feed! Tried yesterday and I think they may have struggled to draw it up blush I'm in a lot of pain which gets worse with pumping so didn't really try yesterday. Woke up early this morning and felt like I should - not quite full feeling but knew I had some there. Got just over 10ml so two feeds. Couple of hours later felt full and got another 10ish ml. My parents came and took me to the shop to get me out of my room and Mum pointed out I was a little leaky so they took me down to the unit and I got the same again! Got back on the ward and same again! Over 40ml of colostrum pumped today!

Fortunately the doctor added oramorph to my chart this morning so I'm taking that when I pump.

Unfortunately baby isn't tolerating formula and been bringing it all up. They dropped her to 2ml an hour then after awhile drained her stomach as she'd stopped being sick and they wanted to see if she was digesting it but they took out 8ml sad they'd just put her back on nil by mouth when my first bottle went down but they were going to put her on 1ml an hour this evening so they have 2 days supply at that rate! (Of course she's also on a drip) The first donation I made they split over two feeds so it came up with the formula.

debka Sat 04-Jun-11 21:11:34

Sounds like you are giving your LO the very best start in life. WELL DONE!

TruthSweet Sat 04-Jun-11 21:11:57

confuddled - 40mls grin that's great news. Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job.

I'm guessing you've had all the usual info from the NICU nurses about expressing 8+ times a day, etc, etc but in case you haven't this resource has loads of great information on bfing prems/expressing for prems.

confuddledDOTcom Sat 04-Jun-11 21:52:39

Thank you grin I don't see many people here especially not the sort you can boast to and they get it!

This is my 3rd time doing this - impatient mummy - and I'm tandeming so I knew I had milk. Normally they start you on 1ml syringes but they decided as I'm already nursing to try me on a pump. I'm pumping for comfort rather than clock watching which works out around two hours.

I'm back on the pump now, I'm well past her supply and I know I've got plenty there, hopefully we'll be moved soon and I can stop pumping!

TruthSweet Sat 04-Jun-11 22:11:01

Sounds really fab confuddled.

How old is your older nursling? Are they able to help out with the comfort factor or are they not allowed on ward? I'm tandeming to (two wink and found that the older one was very happy to help out with engorgement grin

confuddledDOTcom Sat 04-Jun-11 23:07:06

Almost 2.5 and almost 5 grin not sure tandem is the right word! They would gladly help out which I did quite a bit last time but I can't face it at the moment as I'm so tender everywhere (stupid Dr put me in lithomy when I have PGP and other issues that affect my mobility despite being yelled at by midwife, Doula and sort of me, so I have that added to the normal milk coming in, after birth contractions and stitches) and my girls seem rather heavy all of a sudden! Will definitely be making the most of them when I get home.

My eldest was "helping" me express earlier, watching to make sure it was still flowing and reading the numbers! She's such a sweetie.

Since my last post I've added 35ml to the ward fridge ready to take down after breakfast! I feel ready for more but with no bra here I'm a little worried it could get messy. I think I'm going to send for my shells too.

Cosmosis Sun 05-Jun-11 12:36:19

congratlations on your new baby! sounds like you are doing a great job expressing grin

clitorisorclitoraint Sun 05-Jun-11 13:02:35

Well done! I struggled to establish bf after emcs (you wouldn't know it now when my 16 mo yanks at my top and cries milky! milky! when out in public!!) You're doing brilliantly.

That oramorph stuff is fantastic wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now