Talk

Advanced search

Late Weaning - DD (nearly 2). Brutal and honest advice needed!!!

(12 Posts)
Frickasfeck Fri 03-Jun-11 14:12:13

Hi, i'm looking for advice on how to wean DD off of nighttime feeds. DD is nearly 2 and still very attached to the breast. VERY attached.

She falls asleep on the breast. I know, bad habit, but an effective habit when you have more than one child!! She will usually sleep for a few hours, but then will be in and out of our bed during the night and will want to feed - ALL NIGHT!

If I refuse to give her breast she will scream and shout, settle for a few minutes, then be searching for it again. I must admit, I sometimes give in because I am dog-tired and it's easier (I know!) and DP needs to get up for work and older DD needs her sleep for sch in the morning.

I know she doesn't need it because she eats and drinks well during the day - but she loves 'the boobies'. She talks to them as if they are people! They always get a happy 'hello' when she sees them.

She will be my last child, so I think this may add to it, but physically I am really feeling it. I have always been anaemic, but I am feeling more and more drained as the days go by.

Brutal and honest advice and exxperiences gratefully received!!!

BertieBotts Fri 03-Jun-11 14:16:17

I still feed DS to sleep at 2.8. He'll grow out of it smile Do you want to stop, or are you just feeling you "should"? If you are anaemic have you tried those spatone supplements? They seem to cause less problems with constipation etc.

If you do want to stop, Jay Gordon's nightweaning method is supposed to be good. Also worth looking at the no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley - there is a separate toddler version as well.

Frickasfeck Fri 03-Jun-11 14:24:59

Thanks Bertie. TBH I am not sure if I do/don't want to stop. I feel dreadful because she adores teh boobie and still gets that 'eye rolling' look of ecstacy when she gets after being without it and that is just beautiful - and at that momet I want it to go on forever.

BUT

AT 3.15am when she is pulling at me to position me for a feed and I am tired - I am so over it, I just want DD off of it!!!!

I have considered just feeding her to sleep and not allowing her to feed during the night - that way she will learn to sleep through - but I think that will just confuse her.

I literally do not know what to do. And that isn't like me!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

BertieBotts Fri 03-Jun-11 14:55:15

I think you can nightwean without stopping feeding to sleep for bedtime, though I don't know 100% because I haven't gone down that road personally. I'm sure others will know though smile Jay Gordon is available online if you want to look him up.

Is your DH willing to help at all?

Frickasfeck Fri 03-Jun-11 15:46:14

DP works shifts so it is not consistant. He is around some nights - but not all. We did try DP taking DD next door and putting her into bed, but she tried and it tore at my heart.

I know I need to be stronger. One half of me says " just don't feed her during the night and she will sleep through" (eventually). The other side of me says " she's only lickle......"

I am being bullied by a 23month old!

TheRealMBJ Fri 03-Jun-11 16:02:20

You can definitely night wean without stopping milk at bedtime. In fact Jay Gordon's method recommends it.

I am aboput to start a slightly adjusted version when we get home from holiday as, like you, my 17 mo DS wants the boob constantly from about 4H30 in the morning, and I am starting to resent him.

TheRealMBJ Fri 03-Jun-11 16:03:44

Oh, I meant to add that, I'm obviously no authority in this matter as DS is a terrible boob-monster.

Frickasfeck Fri 03-Jun-11 16:07:06

Thank you!

My DD is clearly obsessed. She even says hello to her Gran's boobies - and she isn't about to get abythingout of THERE!

I am going to take a look at this Jay Gordon you speak of..........

Frickasfeck Fri 03-Jun-11 16:35:01

I think I am in love!!!!!! LLLLOOOOVVVVEEEEE Mr Jay. Going to commit and try it from tonight! I have tried similar tactics but have never been rigid and haven't necessarilly stuck to it.

I will tonight!!!!

Wish me luck!

confuddledDOTcom Fri 03-Jun-11 17:51:48

Another Dr Jay recommendation here! I used it at 15 months although did it slower than he suggested. I asked loads of questions in the comments on the article and a member of his team was really helpful.

TimeWasting Sat 04-Jun-11 09:07:33

Dropping the night feeds and most definitely the feeding to sleep at bedtime allowed us to keep feeding during the day without me going nuts.
It probably won't be overnight, but best of luck.

Pesephone Sat 04-Jun-11 18:43:44

Yet another recomendation for Dr Jay's method here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now