Talk

Advanced search

Introducing a dummy & bottle

(5 Posts)
MumofHearts Fri 03-Jun-11 12:14:11

My DS is nearly 7 weeks & exclusively breastfed. He comfort feeds alot which makes it difficult when looking after my DD who is 2 years old so I am considering giving him a dummy but am worried this may effect his feeding, is there an optimum time to introduce a dummy?
Also at some stage I was hoping to introduce a bottle for the occassional expressed feed and am wondering whether this would be best introduced before or after the dummy?

RitaMorgan Fri 03-Jun-11 12:16:25

I introduced a dummy at about 4 weeks and it didn't have any effect on ds's feeding - I would just keep an eye on his latch though. If he was hungry he just spat the dummy out. Introduced a bottle at around the same time, can't remember which came first.

lilham Fri 03-Jun-11 13:29:35

I used a dummy from week 2 or 3 and a bottle from week 4. My DD is still hit and miss with the bottle sad I think it's just down to the baby. Is your DS latch good? I think the advice is not to introduce dummies and bottles until bf is well established.

blackcurrants Fri 03-Jun-11 14:14:44

I introduced a dummy around 3-4 weeks and, as Rita said, if he was hungry he just spat it out and howled for the breast!

We introduced a bottle around 3-4 weeks as well, as I had to leave him at 4 weeks for an afternoon. I'd start with it soon if I were you, and if you want him to keep taking it, offer every 2 or 3 days for the first week, and then once a week after that, just to keep him remembering what it is.

I'm not an expert, but that worked for us! smile

MumofHearts Fri 03-Jun-11 16:50:33

Thanks to all of you its great to hear of your experiences. He does latch on well and the BF is going well which is why I'm so scared of doing the wrong thing as with my dd I had trouble getting her to BF after she was bottle fed in special care.
It seems like I have left this quite late so I will start asap, getting my DH to do the odd feed will be handy smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: