Talk

Advanced search

Can my bfing baby give me herpes?

(5 Posts)
boognish Fri 03-Jun-11 09:11:30

My 3-month-old has what appears to be a cold sore. Can he give me herpes on my nipples? He won't take expressed milk from a bottle...

Eachpeach80 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:47:20

I don't know but I am afraid I suspect that he can.
Phone one of the breastfeeding helplines - la leche 0845 120 2918 or nct 0300 330 0771 - they will know for sure and may have some advice on how to prevent or minimise the risk. Could you try using nippleshields?

If it were me I would also bring him to the GP to check that it is indeed a cold sore and also because he is not a very young baby he is young enough that a coldsore could be something of concern.

Hope that you get sorted soon

RitaMorgan Fri 03-Jun-11 12:05:42

I'd take him to the GP too - first herpes exposure in a baby can be serious.

moonstorm Fri 03-Jun-11 20:14:20

What they said. A nipple shield could be a good precaution/ expressing. Could you phone the out of hours service?

HauntedLittleLunatic Fri 03-Jun-11 20:19:39

Agree with Rita....more for babies health than youors.

Are you sure it is a cold sore, and not just milk blister? IME a baby with a first coldsore is actually v v v poorly. V high temp and tens of coldsores and ulcers inside and outside the mouth. Really not ppleasant.

But in answer to your initial question yes a baby can pass a coldsore to your nipple.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: