Talk

Advanced search

Can my bfing baby give me herpes?

(5 Posts)
boognish Fri 03-Jun-11 09:11:30

My 3-month-old has what appears to be a cold sore. Can he give me herpes on my nipples? He won't take expressed milk from a bottle...

Eachpeach80 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:47:20

I don't know but I am afraid I suspect that he can.
Phone one of the breastfeeding helplines - la leche 0845 120 2918 or nct 0300 330 0771 - they will know for sure and may have some advice on how to prevent or minimise the risk. Could you try using nippleshields?

If it were me I would also bring him to the GP to check that it is indeed a cold sore and also because he is not a very young baby he is young enough that a coldsore could be something of concern.

Hope that you get sorted soon

RitaMorgan Fri 03-Jun-11 12:05:42

I'd take him to the GP too - first herpes exposure in a baby can be serious.

moonstorm Fri 03-Jun-11 20:14:20

What they said. A nipple shield could be a good precaution/ expressing. Could you phone the out of hours service?

HauntedLittleLunatic Fri 03-Jun-11 20:19:39

Agree with Rita....more for babies health than youors.

Are you sure it is a cold sore, and not just milk blister? IME a baby with a first coldsore is actually v v v poorly. V high temp and tens of coldsores and ulcers inside and outside the mouth. Really not ppleasant.

But in answer to your initial question yes a baby can pass a coldsore to your nipple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now