Talk

Advanced search

Feeding issues in 3 month old

(6 Posts)
groceries Thu 02-Jun-11 21:35:19

Just need some advice regarding my 3 month old son. We have a good feeding/sleeping routine, but just recently my son takes longer to feed. I have changed teats to medium flow (tommee tippee) and he has 180mls every 3 hours (sometimes more, sometimes less). I thought it could perhaps be wind, so I burp him often during feeding and have tried 'infacol'. He tends to take half the feed and then starts chewing on the teat. Does anyone have any advice on what to do.

anonMum2 Thu 02-Jun-11 22:12:31

Are you using Aptamil?

groceries Fri 03-Jun-11 21:41:38

SMA Gold is the brand I am using.

anonMum2 Sat 04-Jun-11 19:29:19

Just that I saw a thread re. aptamil and how baby struggles to feed (mine struggles too and once again on Aptamil powder).

With DS1, we were on size 3 teats when he was 3 months old. With DS2, he's 4 months old and I still can't switch him to size 2 teats. He gulps them in a panic state and then drinks too much air, resulting in a very small feed. He's full after 2oz if we use size 2 teat. We've tried so many times and have nearly given up upping his teat size now.

Did your DS show signs of needing a faster flow teat? They would normally get used to it after a few feeds and if not, perhaps they're not ready. HTH.

wigglesrock Sat 04-Jun-11 20:26:44

SMA Gold recently changed their formula, not sure if that would make a difference, my dds poos have changed slightly. I have a 3 month old and she has started to "fiddle about" when feeding. I think she is just figuring out that something is coming out of the bottle etc, she keeps stopping and starting and having a little giggle grin and rolling the teat around in her mouth. We use Tommee Tippee variflow teats.

groceries Sat 11-Jun-11 22:29:19

Yes the teat kept collapsing as he was sucking so hard, also he was getting really tired because the teat size was too small and only feeding on small amounts. I am using medium flow teats (tommee tippee) and they seem to be working fine at the moment. I have tried the anti-colic and they keep collapsing, so I am just sticking to the medium flow. Haven't tried the variflow yet though. My son started playing around with the teat at the same age and I think they just become more aware in general. He does the same thing, rolling the teat in his mouth. I think SMA have added another fat to the formula, from what I understand it will change their bowel habits slightly. My DS is going less which bothers me, so will give him some water in between feeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now