Talk

Advanced search

tongue and lip tie query dd 14 months

(5 Posts)
harverina Thu 02-Jun-11 11:36:09

Hi I have what I think is a minor query.

My dd is 14 months old and bf. We have never had any real problems bf. No sore nipples, no pain, reasonable weight gain etc. However, I have always thought that my dd has a slight tongue tie, and more recently have noticed what I think to be lip tie. I had mentioned the tt when I took my dd to a hv clinic when she was around 6 months old and the hv just said if there were no feeding issues it would be ok. She didn't check.in.my dd's mouth.

I suppose my query is just...if we have had no feeding problems would this indicate that nothing needs to be done? My dd's speech seems to be age appropriate...mum, dad, moo, baa, ssss (snake!), teddy etc etc.

Sorry if this seems like a weird thing to ask now my dd is 14 months, I just know that slit of Mumsnetters have experience of tt. Thanks smile

Tweetinat Thu 02-Jun-11 13:02:51

No advice I'm afraid but I'm interested in the answers! DS is 19m and was diagnosed with a moderate-severe tongue tie at 6 weeks. It took so long to get a referal that by the time we did, I'd kind of battled through the pain and as we had no wait gain issues the surgeon said it was entirely up to us whether we had it snipped or not. We decided against it but I think about the decision often and worry that it may affect his speech in the future.... Keen to see what other's have experienced!

Tweetinat Thu 02-Jun-11 13:03:16

*weight not wait obviously!!

MigGril Thu 02-Jun-11 16:24:06

hum TT can effect other thing not just speach and feeding. My friends little girl had to have her's done at 3years becasue of dental problems. She couldn't clear food from the back of her teeth and no amount of brushing helped.

there is a good arcticale hear
milkmatters.org.uk/2011/04/15/tongue-tie-the-hidden-cause-of-feeding-problems-however-you-feed-your-baby/

harverina Fri 03-Jun-11 10:08:50

Thanks migil, will have a look. Was the procedure more distressing because your dd was older?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now