Talk

Advanced search

Weight, how much is too little??

(10 Posts)
Calstal79 Wed 01-Jun-11 13:06:11

Hi I'm new to this, so excuse my ignorance re abbreviations!
My 3 week baby girl has only put on 6oz since birth, I am Breast feeding, but wondering whether such a small weight gain is going to harm my baby, am I ok to continue with exclusive bf or should I start supplementing with formula? My hv doesn't or isn't aloud to encourage formula so I don't know what is best? I don't like the idea of formula, but want to do what's best for my daughter!! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

LIZS Wed 01-Jun-11 13:14:07

Sounds fine to me. How long did it take to regain her birthweight ?

VeronicaCake Wed 01-Jun-11 13:19:19

Is that 6oz above her birthweight? Or 6oz above her weight on day 5? Because if it is 6oz above her birthweight it sounds fine. My DD didn't even get back to her birthweight until she was 4 weeks old.

Even if it is 6oz above her lowest weight it isn't necessarily a problem, some babies are slow gainers in the early weeks and some babies (especially those born late) are a bit big at birth and spend some time 'catching down' to the size they are meant to be.

Your HV can't recommend formula without good reason but she will be well aware of the signs that a baby is failing to thrive, and if she spots this she may want to talk to you about how feeding is going and whether it can be improved in anyway.

Of course if you have specific concerns about how feeding is going this is a great place to raise them!

gourd Wed 01-Jun-11 13:50:43

Formula wont make the baby bigger anyway - once baby is full, she wont drink any more then her tummy will hold! In fact feeding her formula will only decrease your milk supply, because by replacing breastfeeds with formula, you'll effectively be skipping breastfeeds, and telling your body that it doesn't need to produce as much milk. Breastfeeding more often might help though. Babies only have tiny tummies so can only drink a small amount at a time, but their tummy also empties fast, so you can feed them very frequently. If your baby is sleeping a lot during the day time and not feeding frequently (every hour or two) it might be worth waking the baby (in the day time) to feed her. If weight is really a problem you can also wake your baby during the night to feed (but you need your sleep too, so additional night feeding is a last resort). More frequent breastfeeding will increase your milk supply, and in turn this will help your baby to put on weight.

Calstal79 Wed 01-Jun-11 14:20:20

Hi thanks for your help, she didn't loose any weight after birth or at least had gained it again before her 1st weighing. At her next weighing she'd put on 6.5oz then over the next few weigh in's lost 3.5oz. She sleeps well at night, but feeds alot during the day, she is slowly gaining weight again now, but only at a rate of 3oz this week!! Thinking I'm probably unnecessarily worrying

lilham Wed 01-Jun-11 15:23:30

You are doing well. Like others say your HV will raise the alarm bells if your baby is failing to thrive. (From postings on mumsnet that's usually rec mixed feeding). Keep offer bf as often as your baby wants and don't even think about routines. And enjoy.

Albrecht Wed 01-Jun-11 15:42:01

Have just looked it up in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (great book, awful title...)

How to know your baby is doing well
weight gain return to birth weight by 2 wks. Avergae gain after that is roughly 1 oz a day but your baby may gain somewhat more or less.
nappies At least 3 dirty nappies a day during the 1st month
your breasts nipples not sore and breasts feel softer by the end of feed
baby behaviour open eyes when feed starts, period of slow sucks with some pauses, falling asleep or contentment at end of feed.

So if you are getting these other signs your dd (=darling daughter) may just be slow gainer. This could well be normal for her. If you are still concerned, offer her both breasts more often. The more she sucks, the more milk you will make. If you get really concerned consider offering night feeds (but frankly I would just get some rest for now, she may not sleep through forever!).

Hope that helps!

LIZS Wed 01-Jun-11 16:15:46

tbh I'd question whether the initial 6.5 oz gain was correct - lots of variables can affect a particular weigh in. To have lost 3.5 oz by the next one is probably more as would be expected over the first 10 days or so and now she is gaining. Please try to have more confidence in yourself and just feed on demand. If you feel the need for bf support contact NCT or La Leche League or ask your mw/hv if there is a breastfeeding cafe or group locally. If hv becomes concerned I'm sure she'll tell you.

Calstal79 Wed 01-Jun-11 16:23:09

Thank u all so much, it's really nice to have some support smile xx

Calstal79 Thu 04-Aug-11 08:57:29

Hi my 3 month old breastfed DD sleeps for 8 hours a night, but wakes in the morning with a pulsating sunken front fontanelle, her nappies are always wet and the sunkenness dissapears towards lunchtime. Should u be worried re dehydration or is this normal??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now