Talk

Advanced search

Medela Breastmilk Bags: Are they worth it?

(13 Posts)
TribbleWithoutACause Tue 31-May-11 21:40:51

Hi,

Just a quick one, I'm dithering over the above and wondering if they're worth it. I'm tempted by the fact that they're double layered. My friends had the boots ones and said they leaked on her.

Any help?

Thanks

rednose Tue 31-May-11 21:43:39

Yes they are fine- I used them without any probs!

yankiedoodledandy Tue 31-May-11 21:49:49

I got these as I had a medela swing pump but seeing as I never expressed enough to freeze in one go I never actually fastened them onto the pump. I used to express my measly 1-2 oz into the bottle then decant it into another bottle until I had enough for a feed which I'd then pour into the bags and freeze. They were fine for that. Didn't try any others but thought they were good as they stand up reasonably well and never leaked when defrosting. They are expensive though in comparison to own brands like boots.

TribbleWithoutACause Tue 31-May-11 21:51:37

They are pretty expensive aren't they. I'll just bite the bullet and get a pack.

Thanks guys!!

sleepdodger Wed 01-Jun-11 19:06:19

tribble i posted the same in chat last week and concensus was if you dont overfill (allowing room for expansion) the cheaper ones are fine - boots & tescos mentioned

TribbleWithoutACause Fri 03-Jun-11 14:15:12

Thanks for that Sleep, I did buy some in the end. They were literally the only ones in stock at my local boots. They seem to be ok, they're a lot smaller than I was expecting though.

we have used lansinoh and boots one and have had the odd one with both makes that leaks when defrosting in fridge but otherwise been fine - we have never used for feeds only for making up food as he doesnt take a bottle. - i express into bottle then pour into bags max of 200mls per bag.

ninedragons Fri 03-Jun-11 14:55:41

Everything Medela make is the most outrageous rip-off.

I am in Aus (where the consumer is shafted as a matter of routine) and it is cheaper for me to have breastmilk bags airmailed from Japan than it is to buy Medela ones at the local chemist. Unfortunately they seem to have a bit of a monopoly here.

The Medela ones definitely aren't any better than the other makes I've tried. I like Cherub Baby ones if you can get them there - they have a double zip lock.

emsyj Fri 03-Jun-11 14:57:53

Have mentioned before on here, but Home Bargains sell milk bags for £1.49 for a pack of 20. I never had any problem with them.

NieuweBuurvrouw Fri 03-Jun-11 15:18:13

IME all milk bags are fine. MEdela or otherwise.

It took me until I'd nearly finished feeding DC 2 to realise that they take up much less room in the freezer and defrost a lot more quickly if you lay them down before freezing.

I only ever had leaks, regardless of brand, after reusing the bags a good few times.

Cosmosis Fri 03-Jun-11 15:52:28

I use both boots and tesco with no problems.

TribbleWithoutACause Fri 03-Jun-11 20:53:12

Emsyj I've had those ones and I did look for them, but they'd ran out.

emsyj Fri 03-Jun-11 20:55:21

If you want some I can send you some - the stock at my local Home Bargains is a bit hit and miss but they usually have them. I can send you a bulk consignment if you like, private mail me if so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now