Talk

Advanced search

15 week old night feeds every 3hours. Is that normal?

(8 Posts)
valentinemum10 Tue 31-May-11 00:08:29

i know it seems like a daft question but im a first timer. My DD slept through the nights up till 10 weeks but now wakes every 3 hours like clockwork to feed.shes also teething so is this comfort feeding? Growth spurt feed?
I feed her whilst she still seems to be a sleepy state. Its hard work! I mentioned the feeding times to the nurse at her 12 week jab and she thought it was a bit odd she wakes so frequently at that age.i feed DD on demand.

BooyHoo Tue 31-May-11 00:10:13

16 weeks is a growth spurt stage so it could be this. some HCPs are unaware of these stages. i was shocked taht my HV didn't know 16 weeks was a growth spurt stage and explained why he was feeding so often.

RitaMorgan Tue 31-May-11 06:59:05

Sounds normal to me. My ds had 2 nightfeeds between about 8-18 weeks, then started feeding loads for a while, then was back to 2 nightfeeds at about 5 months and got him down to 1 nightfeed at around 6-7 months.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 31-May-11 08:10:13

Sounds normal to me. My twins have slept through once each, and are still fed between 1 and 4 times each in the night at 7 months.

IME the definitely feed more at night when they're learning new things (they're more clingy in the day then too).

Good luck with the feeding!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 31-May-11 09:00:03

Sounds perfectly normal to me too. Often babies who have slept through will start waking at around this age anyway.

You sound like you are doing the right thing in just feeding her and going back to sleep.

Albrecht Tue 31-May-11 09:36:43

Also sounds normal to me. Don't know what the nurse is surprised about, they still have tiny stomachs at that age and bm is digested very quickly. Also teething can be worse at night and they start getting distracted by the world during the day at that age.

You could try and tank her up during the day but she might still wake if its for comfort from the teething. Have you tried co-sleeping? Its the only way I survive - I was nervous to begin with but I found I really am always aware of where he is.

Before I had a baby I just figured their sleep might be rubbish to start with but it would gradually improve til they slept through. Er, wrong! Its normal for them to go through phases, nothing lasts forever (thankfully!).

valentinemum10 Tue 31-May-11 11:56:12

thanks for the replies.i co sleep which helps a lot. Its just waking up so frequently i cant adjust to it and making me soooo tired by 9am. Cant tank her up as as she feeds on demand its still roughly every 3hours in the day and she has reflux. As long as i know this feeding habit is normal,im happy.

springbokscantjump Tue 31-May-11 12:00:33

Yip its normal. My ds slept through a couple of times before that age (10 hrs although I did go in to check he was alive!) and used to sleep for five to six hours regularly.

I say used to because he then started to wake a bit earlier and a bit earlier. Now he wakes every two to three hours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: