Talk

Advanced search

How much formula for one feed at six months?

(12 Posts)
MrsTerryPratchett Mon 30-May-11 18:13:29

I'm BFing DD (well, so far) but would like to have an evening FF so that I can sleep DH can help out. How much formula do I need to give her for one feed? She is a big girl if that makes any difference. I have also started her on solids but that is very early days (1-2 teaspoons of gruel baby rice). I will probably use ready made formula as the instructions for powder scare me!

mousesma Mon 30-May-11 18:16:58

At that age I was offering my DD 7oz and letting her take what she wanted, sometimes it was the full 7oz and sometimes only 5oz or so. Most cartons are about 7oz so just see how much she takes or if you don't want to waste any then try offering half the carton and then offering more if she isn't satisfied.

RitaMorgan Mon 30-May-11 18:18:34

It probably depends on how many feeds and food she has in the day. Also, formula fed babies increase the amount of milk they take in each feed as they get older, whereas breastfed babies consume the same volume from 1-6 months. So a formula fed 6 month old might take 7oz in a feed, but a breastfed baby will have been used to taking 3oz or so at a time so their tummy might not cope with a big feed.

I'd start by offering a fairly small amount (maybe half a carton) and see how she gets on. Babies also tend to just finish whatever is in the bottle, regardless of whether they actually need it all.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 30-May-11 18:45:18

I can express about 3oz (not in the evening) so DD may be getting about that (or slightly more) at a feed. So, somewhere between half a carton and a carton for the one feed? She is only having one solid meal and that is after a BF.

mousesma Mon 30-May-11 18:51:58

Yes, try half a carton and take it from there. I mix fed DD from 4 months i.e. BF for all feeds except one nighttime feed at 7pm and in my experience DD would only drink what she wanted from the bottle and no amount of coaxing could make her do otherwise smile

RitaMorgan Mon 30-May-11 18:58:24

My ds must be particularly greedy then grin he would just finish whatever was in the bottle. DP once gave him 2 cartons while I was out and funnily enough he puked it all up hmm

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 30-May-11 20:33:45

I have a feeling DD will be a guzzler. She is not fussy about bottles and is a dummyaholic. I will give DH strict instructions not to overfeed! I just realised, this means I can leave the house in the evenings. grin

mousesma Tue 31-May-11 07:56:08

Actually I do remember one occasion when I went out for the night and DH managed to feed her 15oz in 3 hours! Maybe it's a dad thing smile Enjoy your nights out!

ladybirdlittle Tue 31-May-11 09:45:56

On the tin it says 8oz for 6 months, and my little greedy-guts drains that. We are in the same position - 6 months and have just started a formula feed at bedtime. I gave him 4oz the first day and then breastfed him after as still hungry, gradually increased over 2 weeks to 8oz now. (He is about 16lb I think if that makes a difference)
ps the powder is easy if you are at home, I was scared of it too but it's fine! You just have to remember to boil the kettle before they want feeding. Haven't taken formula out and about though yet!

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 31-May-11 16:41:53

Thanks everyone! I hdid half a carton, then dummy for a bit to check if she is hungry or just greedy! It doesn't seem to have done her any harm! I may have to resort to powder, I can't believe the price of formula. DD is 17lbs so about the same.

Do Dads think we're starving then or something? confused

BooBearBoo Tue 31-May-11 16:49:37

DS (7m) is on 3 x 8oz a day plus 3oz of wholemilk before his morning nap. He has three solid meals. He weighs 22lbs.

BooBearBoo Tue 31-May-11 16:50:38

To add - some days he will 9oz before bed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: