Talk

Advanced search

Baby very thirsty for water

(4 Posts)
Squickity Sun 29-May-11 18:33:12

My DD is almost 5 months and was weaned according to GF's guidelines at 4 months. We live in a hot climate but she is almost always indoors where there is air conditioning and a cool room temperature. Since weaning, she has become increasingly thirsty for water especially during the evening and nightime, often waking 2 to 3 times just to gulp down loads of water and going straight back to sleep. During the day, she also has alot of water in between feeds. She's slightly constipated although all her food so far is very watery vegetables and fruit and some baby rice. Her milk intake has remained unaffected by the water intake and she drinks as much as before but she refuses more milk when thirsty and will only want the water. Otherwise she's very happy, growing extremely well and very healthy. Should I be worried about how much water she wants and how do I stop her getting so thirsty at night?

TruthSweet Sun 29-May-11 20:50:49

I would contact your Dr or paediatrician to check this as babies under one can get ill from drinking too much water.

See here for details.

I'm not saying this to scare you but you obviously are concerned yourself about the quantity of water your baby is drinking.

If you cut back on the solids and increase her milk intake does she still want so much water? Baby rice might be constipating her and that might be leading her to want to drink more.

Squickity Mon 30-May-11 13:10:04

thanks for your advice. I'll see what the dr says. She won't drink more milk whatever I do. She drinks around 6 bottles of 120 ml plus milk in her rice etc every day. A friend suggested putting a humidifier in her room to dampen the air so I'll try that as well.

Wormshuffler Mon 30-May-11 13:13:25

Could it be the coldness of water She likes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now