Talk

Advanced search

Advice on breastfeeding and sleep problems

(5 Posts)
veget8ed Sun 29-May-11 17:51:02

My 12mo is still breastfed and feeds to go to sleep, I have got vasculitis and need to go on medication so have got to stop bfing. DD is not the best at going to sleep and generally stays up til I go to bed, if I try to put her in cot before this she protests loudly. She falls asleep in my bed and then I usually try to get her in her cot, she doesn't sleep through the night and always ends up in bed with us. I've got a few days off after today so wondered if anyone could give me some advice or has anyone a similar experience and what worked for you? Also posted on sleep bit too.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 29-May-11 19:09:57

Ok. I have no advice on your sleep bf issues (ds 15m still bf to sleep and cosleeping which i'm happy with) but i have spent enough time lurking on these boards to know this. Double triple check that your are contraindicated when bf. Docs and pharmasists are notoriously crap re this. I think the document you need is called hales, but no doubt someone will be along who knows. Obv you may wish to stop bf anyway but that is up to you! smile

TruthSweet Sun 29-May-11 20:45:08

The book you want to check is called Thomas Hale's Medications & Mothers Milk. Any good pharmacist will have a copy. If the HCP have been checking the BNF be wary it is very very conservative on bf/pg & meds. A local MW joked to me recently that as far as the BNF is concerned there are no safe meds to take whilst pg (there are obviously).

Also check LACTLactMed Database and if you need a UK based service try emailing Wendy Jones the BNF's pharmacist & BFC.

If you have access to Voip (Voice Over Internet Protocol) phone calls you can call the Infant Risk Center which was set up by Thomas Hale at Texas Tech University.

Obviously I'm not saying you have to continue bfing long term but if the med is safe for bfing then it gives you a bit longer to wean if you want to rather than having to hurry the process along.

If the drug you will be taking is prednisone then LactMed says it is safe to take for bfing though you may wish to not bf for 3 to 4 hours after taking it. Details here. If you were to be taking Cyclophosphamide then bfing would be not recommended and weaning would have to happen to take the drug (going on what LactMed says).

veget8ed Sun 29-May-11 22:35:35

Thanks Moon and Truth, thats really useful, I don't want to stop bfing, she doesn't have much but she likes to feed at night. I'm not due to see hospital til 7th June, I think they'll put me on long term antimalarials or steriods so will definately check up with Lactmed, also will possibly do the email thingy as well, I'm a nurse so familiar with BNF - small world that their pharmacist is a BFC!

TruthSweet Sun 29-May-11 22:57:38

veget - sorry fat fingers not typing so well Wendy Jones is the Breastfeeding Network's breastfeeding counsellor/pharmacist aka BFN. She's not the British National Formulary's pharmacist. Apologies and much groveling blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: