Talk

Advanced search

moving from breast to formula...how?

(5 Posts)
nello Sun 29-May-11 00:46:43

how easy is it? Tried DD, 3 months, with a bottle of formula last night and she scareamed and wouldn't take it. she doesn't like a bottle anyway, but will take eventually with expressed milk.

So what is the best way to make the move from breast to formula? Are you supposed to drop one feed a week and is it a good idea to mix formula with breast milk initially to get LO used to the new taste.

(she would take formula when aged about 1 - 2 months but now it seems she has changed her mind)

I am going back to work on Monday sad and have expressed but want to move slowly onto formula over the next couple of months and also have it as a back up if i can't express enough during the day.

thanks for your help.

suzym1984 Sun 29-May-11 08:58:20

Hi

I have absolutley no official knowledge, but just wanted to share what Ive been doing with DS (4months). have recently been mixing expressed milk with formula to try and get him onto the taste. Also, if he is still hungry after a bottle of expresed milk I give a few oz of formula and he will usually drink it if he is hungry.

I have also been told to use the ready made cartons as they are sweeter and taste more like breat milk. No idea if its true but my DS drinks these no problem (altho they are more expensive).

As for dropping exprssing sessions I would imagine drop one every few days to let supply settle down? No idea tho, and will watch this thread with interest.

Hope that is some help!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 29-May-11 08:59:50

Don't know sorry nello as both of mine were bottle refusers too. What I would suggest though is giving one of the helplines a call, they should be able to talk you through it in a way that should stop you getting mastisis.

Going back to work shouldn't mean the end of bfing though, have you thought about using bottles while you are at work and bfing when you are home? It possible but depends on what you want to do.

PegPolkadot Sun 29-May-11 09:16:50

I gave up by dropping a feed at a time leaving the morning and bedtime ones until last. If you are able to express you could try mixing it with fomula until your DS gets used to the taste. Start off with mostly breastmilk and just add a bit more formula over a couple of days.

nello Wed 01-Jun-11 00:57:30

thank you for advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now