Talk

Advanced search

Teething and BF

(6 Posts)
WestYorkshireGirl Sat 28-May-11 20:55:53

For the past 4 weeks my DD who is 19wks has been teething I think (dribbling loads, jamming her fist and fingers in her mouth and I can feel some ridgy bits, but nothing definite) and since then we've been really struggling with BF and I am wondering if the two are related? She makes a low groaning noise before feeding (but mainly only at night) and often makes this noise on the breast - sometimes it's like a cry. She latches on, but then whips her head off violently or pulls back really far and I can't get her to stay on. It's making me very sore and her very frustrated as she wants to feed and comes back with a wide mouth and tries to get back on. She also kicks her legs and brings them up like colic. Last night we tried some formula in a bottle and she did the same (I was worrying it was about low supply, but there's plenty of milk around when I squeeze and I can feel the letdown) . I have been rubbing a bit of Bonjela into her gums, but not much effect. Some feeds are ok, but some days she only has 1 or 2 good feeds where she stays on and nights are particularly bad. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

bessie26 Sat 28-May-11 22:30:02

No experience of this I'm afraid (DD1 is never "off her food"!) but have you tried giving her some Calpol? Sometimes when DD1 was teething the gel just didn't do the trick, but a bit of Calpol would sort her out. Perhaps try giving her some & see if it makes a difference?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 29-May-11 09:11:28

It could be teething and agree with bessie that a spot of Calpol would help with the pain if it is teething. If she still does it after the Calpol it could be something else, which a BFC on one of the helplines should be able to talk to you about.

There is some information here on fussing whilst feeding. Please don't assume that it is low supply, it could easily be oversupply smile

flickor Sun 29-May-11 19:07:25

My DD had a bit of a rough time teething and breastfeeding but they do get through it. She now has six teeth. Ambesol is a liquid you rub on the gums. and does work really well for teething. We use it now and its great. Try Nurofen for children if it gets really bad.

BatFlattery Sun 29-May-11 19:48:43

We have been going through exactly this OP for around the last 5 weeks. DS constantly pulling right back with the nipple still in his mouth (hurts doesn't it?!), crying while feeding, etc... He is also definitely teething (20 weeks old) - has the 'classic' signs, bright red cheeks, loads of drooling, unsettled, dodgy tummy, etc..

We find what helps is to use the teething powder (I use Boots own brand, but others swear by the A&P brand). We tend to use this after a feed if he is still fussy, or before a nap to help him get to sleep.

I haven't found a solution for the nipple pulling, I wish I had as they are now extremely sore! The only thing which sometimes helps is to slightly adjust the way I am holding him, and make sure I am totally relaxed (easier said than done).

Teething is just awful isn't it? I also find that if he really gets unsettled in the night a dose of Calpol really helps him get back to sleep.

japhrimel Sun 29-May-11 23:31:18

I've found Bongela can worsen the feeding problems - makes sense as it works by numbing the mouth. Calpol works better for us. Teething granules just provided a distraction, nothing more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now