Talk

Advanced search

Baby having trouble with Avent bottles

(7 Posts)
edeluna Fri 27-May-11 21:03:41

I'm EBF my 10-week-old daughter and we've been giving her one or two bottles of expressed milk each day. She's absolutely fine feeding from the Medela bottle that came with my pump and with Green Baby bottles and orthodonic teats, but whenever we try to give her an Avent bottle she simply can't feed from it.

We thought there might have been an issue with the flow and changed from the number 1 to the number 2-sized teat but that hasn't helped.

I had heard these were pretty much the best bottles you could get and most closely resembled the breast, so I am confused and disappointed. Has anyone had similar experience? Any advice?

shivster1980 Fri 27-May-11 21:22:45

My friend has this trouble with her DS3. She had Avent bottles for DS2 which he used fine after being breast fed, but DS3 couldn't drink out of them. I had some Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles in the cupboard and gave them to her to try - hey presto DS3 can take a bottle.

It's weird though as her DS2 was perfectly happy with Avent?!?!

HTH

NomadInNowhere Fri 27-May-11 21:24:59

I had some advent bottles and didn't get on with them either, plus they leaked. I switched to a supermarket brand (Tesco,Asda) and found them much better (and cheaper) I have found that not all the most expensive stuff is the best!

shivster1980 Fri 27-May-11 21:29:28

PS I am not advertising tommee tippee - sorry if my post reads like that blush

They were just in the cupboard, I bought for a friend's daughter who was visiting (was trying to be helpful and then they left them here and I don't have a baby!)

edeluna Wed 01-Jun-11 17:24:50

shivster1980 No worries. It's good to know what worked for your friend. smile

NomadInNowhere I just got an Avent pump and I've found the bottle leaks if the insert isn't in right or, when feeding, if it's not tightened very securely. Very frustrating when your freshly pumped milk spills all over the place! I do like the suction on the pump, though. Alas, the bottles are still a problem for baby.

YogaMummy2B Wed 01-Jun-11 17:47:19

Hi there, funny to see this post. I was about to inform the folks on the reflux thread that I changed to Dr Browns bottles today from Avent and low and behold my LO, who is normally very difficult to feed, crys heaps, lots of wind and fussing etc. Just downed a 7oz bottle in one go, 15 mins, one burp and is currently asleep on my chest.
It's a blooming miracle! Please pray it remains like this, we have had 6 weeks of EBFing, which was not fun due to serious reflux and now 2 weeks of tense, crying bottle feeding! If this continues I may have to recommend Dr B for some sort of services to Mums knighthood!
Apologies I've had a right time of it and hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel.
Promise I don't work for Dr B.

edeluna Mon 18-Jul-11 12:42:04

Just coming back to say that DD is now 17 weeks and for the past week or so she has been taking the Avent bottles without any problem. So maybe she was just being fussy before or has now grown into them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now