Talk

Advanced search

Changing from breast to bottle

(3 Posts)
Isabelsmummy01 Fri 27-May-11 18:55:26

Hi, I'm new to this site and am looking for some advice. I am a first time mum to a 6 month old little girl. So far I have exclusively breastfed but I am now ready change to formula feeding. I have tried to change over two feeds, and I'm pleased to say that she will take the bottle, however she is only taking about 2oz at a time. I then try her on the breast and she continues to feed. We have started weaning but she is only having a couple of teaspoons of fruit am and veg pm. Obviously I don't know how much she is used to taking from me but I have read that at 6 months she still needs approx 18oz of milk a day and I am worried that when I change fully to formula she will not be taking this.

bumbums Fri 27-May-11 22:10:25

Hi, are you working to a deadline for finishing bf?
It does take a number of weeks for them to take a decent quantity of formula. I went from bf to a sippy cup at 6mths with my DD and I used to leave the cup near her for an hour or more to give her the chance to take lots of sips.

Isabelsmummy01 Fri 27-May-11 22:22:38

Thanks for coming back to me, no deadline I don't want to phase out bf before she's ready to take formula so I am happy to do it slowly. I will just keep trying at the same time everyday and hopefully she will take more in time. Sippy cup sounds like a good idea, I might try that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: