Talk

Advanced search

Expressing question - does milk look a bit curdly when left in fridge?

(5 Posts)
wellamI1981 Fri 27-May-11 10:15:51

Went to get it out this morning and it looked a bit curdly. Also can I mix a batch refridgerated from yesterday with today's batch for a feed?

duchesse Fri 27-May-11 10:26:12

Yes it should be fine if it's been kept in a sterile container. You do get separation of cream and whey, just like unhomogenised cow's milk. Most milk these days is homogenised so it doesn't separate. You just need to gently warm it to drinking temperature and gently swirl it around- no need to be too vigorous- and the cream with mix back with the whey.

duchesse Fri 27-May-11 10:29:16

Oh and I would definitely not waste a drop and mix them, as long as it will all be drunk today as you should consider that it is all yesterday's once they're mixed together. In my experience though expressed milk keeps a lot longer than the recommended storage guidelines- it's a living fluid containing special agents (some kind of sugar from memory) that suppress the growth of harmful bacteria.

wellamI1981 Fri 27-May-11 10:53:32

Thanks for that Duchesse! You don't happen to know how you work out how much expressed milk your baby needs do you?

duchesse Fri 27-May-11 11:04:28

Depends on the age and size of your baby, but there's a guide here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: