Talk

Advanced search

What size teat for a 10 month old?

(5 Posts)
fifitot Fri 27-May-11 08:58:39

Yes me again - muddled breastfeeder! I am currently mix feeding, having finally got my boy onto a bottle for nursery days. He is taking the bottle in the day and breastfeeding at night, so that's fine but I am a novice at bottle feeding. He is taking the bottle well but really sucking it hard, so much the teat is almost inside out. I am using an Tomee Tippee number 2. Should I use a faster one?

Also - I know I should be moving onto a cup but one step at a time! It's a miracle he is even taking a bottle after refusing since birth!

Albrecht Fri 27-May-11 09:18:38

<slaps own wrist> Was going to say about a cup...

I think its advised to keep breastfed babies on a slower teat to keep them working for it but I don't know if he should be sucking it inside out! Sorry, not much help, am I?

fifitot Fri 27-May-11 10:54:28

Not quite sucking it inside out but you know what I mean!

Actually - what kind of cup? Not a Doidy, too messy at this stage but with or without valve do you think?
Thanks.

Albrecht Fri 27-May-11 11:14:45

We sometimes use a doidy but it is messy even if you hold it. Think a valve is not recommended as its not good for teeth, free flowing is better.

You can do a bit of cup work just to get them used to it even if that isn't how they get most of their milk.

fifitot Fri 27-May-11 16:30:11

OK will try. He takes water from a free flow so should get it eventually!

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: