Talk

Advanced search

Doing a dairy-free trial whilst breast-feeding. What nice things can I eat?

(22 Posts)
LilRedWG Thu 26-May-11 18:52:30

DD was dairy-free for a year and we muddled along fine (this was from 10 months), but I am now having to go milk free for DS's sake - he is only three months old.

I have no problem doing this but need a list of lovely things I can eat please, just to remind me that my life as I know it isn't over. smile

AngelDog Thu 26-May-11 18:54:19

Some good suggestions on this thread.

I struggled at first but have got used to it (and it's me who turned out to be dairy intolerant so mine will probably go on for ever).

trixymalixy Thu 26-May-11 18:54:36

Hobnobs
Co-op doughnuts
Jam tarts
Worthenshaw or Swedish glacé ice cream
Lindt 70% chocolate

LilRedWG Thu 26-May-11 18:55:36

Thanks both. Oooo, Co-op doughnuts - I've just come in from Co-op, will have to return tomorrow. smile

FannyLogan Thu 26-May-11 19:00:58

Booja booja ice cream and truffles from indie health food shops but v expensive. But so worth it!

Redwoods super melting cheese makes cheese on toast or toasted cheese sandwiches

FaintlyMacabre Thu 26-May-11 19:04:15

Innocent smoothies- especially the banana pineapple coconut one.

AngelDog Thu 26-May-11 19:14:38

FannyLogan, do you mean the mozarella style Cheezly?

SomebodyNew Thu 26-May-11 19:16:20

Waitrose have nice biscuits on their 'no gluten / dairy' type section. I think the brand is Lazy Days or something like that and they do choc fingers and some fab choc tiffin things, anything that says vegan will work well as well. Mayo is great because as long as you're ok with eggs (which is fine for a lot of dairy intolerant people) it really cheers up sandwiches in place of butter, especially a nice garlic one mmm.

Also houmous on sandwiches is fab.

PrettyCandles Thu 26-May-11 19:23:09

Kallo dark chocolate-covered rice cakes (yes, I know that sounds mining, but oh they are soooo delish!)
Lindt 70% and above - but not the other dark chocolates in the range.
Bourbon Cream biscuits
Ryvita Dunks
Swedish Glacé
Alpro puddings
Any of the flavoured non-milks (I'm particularly partial to Chocolate Rice Dream and Chocolate Oatly)
The best, most grown-up, chocolate biscuits ever
Pink&White wafers
There's a biscuit by LU, I think it may be called caramelised, which is very nice, too.

Hmm I see a theme here: chocolate grin

Go easy on the choc, it may upset your LO's stomach.

tigermummy35 Thu 26-May-11 19:35:24

I am dairy intollerant (i.e the products of a cow) but am perfectly ok with goat and sheep products. I'm dotty about cheese, so ate hard goats cheeses and sheeps cheeses when pregnant. You could also have Crimbles (yummy coconut things and alpro chocolate or vanilla pudding (tastes like custard to me). Dairy free is a total PIA, so hope you get on ok with it x

weasle Thu 26-May-11 21:24:25

i am also dairy free since feb for ds now 12months. i didn't think i could do a single day at first but it's fine, and i've lost a bit of weight too!

i second the kallo plain chocolate rice cakes

i use kara coconut milk instead of milk in porridge and don't think i'll ever go back to cows milk even when ds is weaned/on dairy.

i'm crisp fiend and love tyrrells salt and vinegar or chipsticks. also snack a jacks salt and vinegar rice cakes. i eat lots of homous. i'm using pure spread in baking and cooking instead of butter and it's fine.

PenguinArmy Thu 26-May-11 23:02:16

the free from sections of supermarkest

swedish glace ice-cream

try local organic food shops and Holland n Barrett (loved their chocolate covered marzipan before I went fair trade)

I am a vegan so quite used to finding nice dairy free stuff.

PenguinArmy Thu 26-May-11 23:03:08

Nice and ginger biscuits are normally vegan as well. Got to have a selection to dunk in your tea. There are cookies around as well.

LilRedWG Fri 27-May-11 09:45:53

Thanks all. Am suprisingly finding rice milk okay in tea and coffee, but doubt I could drink a glass of it. DH remembered to use rice milk in my morning cuppa but brought me a digestive biscuit too - lol.

Am feeling quite chipper about it now as you have all reminded me how many products there are out there. It will also encourage me to cook more homemade meals, which can't be a bad thing and may help my IBS too. Hopefully, it will help poor DS - that's the main thing.

AngelDog Fri 27-May-11 19:04:58

Glad you're feeling more cheerful, OP.

Jammy dodgers are another to add to the list. As are fish & chips, apparently (well, I ate them without ill effects yesterday).

trixymalixy Fri 27-May-11 19:46:25

Oh no no no. Rice milk is vile. Oatly is far superior to rice milk and is lovely on cereal. Good for making White sauce with too.

Can I also recommend the soya whipping cream you can get in tesco v v nice. I plan to buy a bottle of strawberry tart sauce and make some strawberry tarts with it!!

PrettyCandles Fri 27-May-11 21:38:57

Frozen shortcrust pastry, and sometimes the chilled sort, too, is often DF. (I can make perfectly good pastry with butter, but have had no luck making a decent DF shortcrust.)

There's a fabulous whipping 'cream' called Soja Saane on one side of the pack and Cremovita on the other.

I have never found a decent substitute for hard cheese, but Tofuti make an excellent cream cheese substitute.

Warning: some people can't easily digest certain soya products. Tofuti cream cheese, and Soja Saane/Cremovita bloat me out dreadfully, so if you're sensitive you have to decide whether it's worth it for that bagel with smoked salmon and 'cream cheese' etc.

Here's a recipe that is definitely worth it:

Break up a bar of Lindt 70% and put it in a bowl with a tablespoonful of whisky. Put bowl over a saucepan of hot water and heat gently, stirring, so that whisky blends into melted chocolate. Take bowl away from heat and allow to cool at room temp. While it is cooling, beat a carton of Soja Saane until thick and fluffy (unlike real cream, there is no danger of over-beating) and then drizzle in the cooled, but still runny, chocolate.

Result is the most gorgeous chocolate mousse. And it's practically healthy!

trixymalixy Fri 27-May-11 21:49:06

Ooh prettycandles, that was the whipping cream I was talking about!! I am definitely going to try that recipe thanks!!

There's a fab recipe for chocolate cheesecake on parsleysoup.com using tofutti cream cheese, I can def recommend that.

estya Fri 27-May-11 21:51:52

Inspired by another recent thread, I'm currently munching through swedish glace ice cream with peanut butter and asda dark chocolate spread. All dairy free and lovely in a snickers type way.

Also:
Chocolate alpro non-milk
Alpro chocolate deserts
Home made flapjacks (with non-dairy marg) with chunks of G&B 70% in it. Yum. I eat loads with the excuse that the oats ore good for my milk supply.
If you are doing goats cheese, spread on a bagel, pilled high with smoked salmon.

No weight being lost around here, unfortunately. I do agree with the others, its easier than you'd think.

trixymalixy Fri 27-May-11 21:55:31

Ooh, I also make lovely Rocky road using the nigella recipe on BBC website , but using pure spread, tesco value digestives(dairy free) and lindt 70% choc.

Marshmallows are also dairy free.

Meringue nests with cremovita whipping cream and fruit.

LilRedWG Sat 28-May-11 08:40:33

Yummy! PC - that sound fabulous. smile

Went out for a curry last night and the restaurant were fabulous in helping me chose suitable dishes.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 28-May-11 08:46:16

Party Rings. One of my friends has recently gone dairy free and she has been told that all supermarkets have a list of the dairy free food they sell to save you the time it takes to look at all the labels.

Don't make these though, you'll be addicted grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now