Talk

Advanced search

Teeth marks round nipple...

(5 Posts)
Cashew Thu 26-May-11 09:27:46

Hi all,
My DD now has her top front teeth (she's 10 months) and since then I've noticed very definate teeth imprints at the base of my nipple after feeding.
Sometimes I just see the marks, which is fine, but othertimes feeding is quite uncomfortable (I wouldn't go as far to say painful, but definate gnawing going on!)
My question is- has her latch changed? Or do you think it's just the fact that there are teeth there now?
Also, do you think the gnawing is when she's less hungry?
Hmmmm... or any ideas to stop her doing it in the first place?
Thank you.

EauRouge Thu 26-May-11 09:33:54

I get this with DD1 sometimes if she's been feeding for a long time (it's usually just a splash-and-dash these days though) or sitting in a funny position. It's where her teeth rest on your areola. Sometimes it can be a little uncomfortable but she should change her latch once she gets used to her new teeth. If she's hurting you then try unlatching her and sitting her in a different position. Does she get distracted easily and fidget?

Cashew Thu 26-May-11 09:38:56

No, not especially fidgetty or distracted (not when comprared to how her brother was!)
Her feeds are prob about 10-15 mins long & I think it happens towards the end... so that's why I thought, maybe a full tummy & just 'faffing around', but maybe it's the novelty of new teeth then. A re-latch turns back into the same situation so I'm tending to just stop the feed when it gets too much. She used to just come off herself at the end of a feed though.

FetchezLaVache Thu 26-May-11 09:39:06

Watching this with interest as DS (13 mo) sometimes leaves toothmarks. Sometimes it hurts a tiny bit, so I take him off and put him back on again- he seems to get the idea! Most of the time, though, it doesn't hurt at all.

Cashew Fri 27-May-11 21:03:38

bump

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: