Talk

Advanced search

EBF newborn - comfort feeding?

(18 Posts)
Bubandbump Thu 26-May-11 01:23:51

I have a 5 day old DD, so we are feeding on demand at the moment.

My milk came in yesterday and I have had no problems with my nipples etc - feeding however takes about 3 hours as she sucks for 15 mins, then falls asleep, then wakes up when I try to put her down, then goes back on and does the same.

I always put her back on the same breast but if she was really hungry wouldn't she stay awake until she was full? I try to calm her down before feeding her and she is always bobbing her head and rooting so I assume she wants feeding.

She just doesn't ever seem to get full up enough to sleep off my breasts for any length of time. Also she had a yellow poo yesterday when my milk came in but nothing except wet nappies today - does this mean the latch might not be right?

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 26-May-11 01:39:09

It sounds like everything's perfect. She's so so tiny, and needs sleep as well as food, so it makes sense that she falls asleep as soon as her stomach isn't screaming HUNGRY at her, even if she's not 'full'. Putting her back on the same breast is good, you're right to think that she wants feeding.

Wouldn't worry about the poo yet, if she's having wet nappies. They'll probably come back tomorrow.

Honestly, 5 days is just nothing. It'll change by tomorrow, and then again by next week, and it'll keep changing. I know it's frustrating how long the whole thing takes - you can always try keeping her awake by tickling the soles of her feet while she feeds, that works for some people - but honestly. Five days old. She's just learning what she wants as well. Keep doing what you're doing, it sounds brilliant.

(and you won't be this tired forever, promise)

Bubandbump Thu 26-May-11 02:44:57

Thankyyou!

It's just nice to know it sounds ok. Tbh I love being with her so I don't mind - it's just nice to know the sleep deprivation won't last forever!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 26-May-11 07:25:10

what tortoise said. Keep going. You are doing brilliantly. smile

flyingheart Thu 26-May-11 08:59:05

Keep up the good work, sounds like you are doing a grand job to me.

Make the most of this cuddly time together...and yes, the hazy mist of sleep deprivation will lift one day...until then, try to relax and enjoy!

latrucha Thu 26-May-11 09:04:15

You're doing great.

Is feeding comfortable? If so, it sounds like she;s stimulatingyou to make lots of milk for her absolutely perfectly. smile

Tamdin Thu 26-May-11 09:10:30

Just wanted to add that the bf threads on mn have been such a support to me. Even if you just lurk there's usually a thread going on at any given moment that answers some query or concern you may have. Also the Kellymom website is amazing for answering any questions that you might have smile

(ps moonface I might need your reassurance again shortly! Ds2 5 months on Sunday and is permanently attached at the minute. Am blaming teeth?)

whitechocolatebuttons Thu 26-May-11 09:15:54

What all the above posts say! - It sounds like you're doing fine, naturally and instinctively. Don't forget to make use of your midwife for advice while she's still around too. Enjoy!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 26-May-11 09:17:41

Exactly what tortoise said. Get yourself some snacks and the tv remote and do what you are doing. If you want to get up from the sofa, she may settle in a sling, but its still very early days and you are doing exactly the right thing.

RufflesKerfluffles Thu 26-May-11 10:11:37

I agree with everyone else, except that I would consider switching sides after each wake-up. As I understand, this would be better for establishing your supply.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 26-May-11 14:45:48

As well as trying a sling, have you tried swaddling?

lilham Thu 26-May-11 16:03:44

There's a page on kellymom.com on what to expect on your first 2 weeks (or is it 10 days) bf a newborn. Really helped me with assuring my DD was normal.

cinnamongreyhound Thu 26-May-11 16:28:18

My ds1 didn't sleep for more than 20mins at a time until he was 4months+. Annoying but doesn't mean they are waking up because they haven't had enough milk, I tried blowing on him to keep him awake to take more milk to sleep longer so I could get bits done but it never worked! Ds1 poo'd 3 times a day, ds2 every 7-10 days so don't worry but mention it to your midwife if it gives you peace of mind or if it goes on too long while she's very small. glad you are having a positive early experience of bf and don't worry just because it's not a struggle doesn't mean your doing it wrong!! But babies do feed for comfort and to relieve sore/windy tummies as well as for hunger but that is ok too.

Bubandbump Thu 26-May-11 16:55:15

Thankyou all so much. It really helps to know that I am doing the right thing as I keep getting told by my mother that I am making a rod for my own back. Having a hard day as she fed for 8 hours last night and grandparents being here today have made her over stimulated and tired. Your positive messages have really just made all the difference.

MigGril Thu 26-May-11 18:04:01

Oh that rod for your own back thing. So far haven't found that to be the case with my two DD 4years'. Fed to sleep, slept on me and with me, oddly enough now sleep's happly in her own bed and on her own room. DS well he's only 7months haven't even instill a bedtime routine yet he still wants to go to bed about about 7.30pm though.

Enjoy all those newborn cuddle's it doesn't last long.

orchidee Thu 26-May-11 18:38:57

Bup

I have a 3 weeks old baby and am also new to BF. I hope that by seeing your daughter gain weight and thrive during the MW and HV visits that you get more confident about feeding. I really got a lot from tracking feeds, nappies and weight gain during the first couple of weeks.

From anecdotal stories it seems that if we want to establish BF it's important to go with the flow and allow the baby to set the pace. For me this has meant restricting visitors to times that we are confident will suit the baby and avoiding overstimulation. Yes it means putting the baby's needs above the needs of visitors but people won't know what's best for the baby unless we give them a steer. My approach tends to be that a year ago I wouldn't have known all this stuff, so it's no big deal to let others know what will and won't suit (and that includes GP who FF their own children so may have some inaccurate ideas about BF.)

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 27-May-11 07:28:27

I think this is the page lilham was referring to, there is a bit here on sleepy babies which I thought you might like to read as well.

Just ignore you Mum if you can. Feeding and cuddling your baby when she wants it will show her that you are always there for her and will make her secure and happy in the long term. You know you are doing everything right, so keep with it.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sat 28-May-11 15:51:20

Tamdin smile sorry, only just seen your ps there. Yes teeth are often the cause of lots of feeding ime. Just as an imminent bug can be too. Just try and go with it and you'll soon realise it has passed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: