Talk

Advanced search

2wk old - breastfeeding but keeps being sick?

(15 Posts)
lucielooo Mon 02-May-11 12:31:30

Just getting a bit worried about my 2 week old who has been breastfeeding well but now keeps bringing up whole feeds. He's quite a windy baby, and has done little sick-ups since the start, but over the last few days he's been bringing up what look like whole feeds - ie seemingly gallons of the stuff just pouring back out of his mouth. This morning he's brought up one feed that looked like mainly foremilk everywhere so I've been unlatching him and winding him after about 10 minutes incase it's because he's windy but he's just brought loads more back up (hindmilk this time)

I don't know what to do. He feeds a lot generally but he can't have hardly anything in his tummy now. He doesn't seem distressed except for crying to be fed.

We're already using infacol to help with the wind

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

StatelyPoshBeartrothal Mon 02-May-11 12:34:19

Congratulations on your baby grin
Can you see a MW / HV? Pyloric Stenosis is a trare possibility, but there's also a chance your baby is just bringing up some milk - it always looks a lot more when it's down the back of yuur sofa grin
Is he weeing, pooing and not losing weight? If so he is keeping plenty down.

lucielooo Mon 02-May-11 12:46:40

Thanks stately he's still doing plenty of nappies so I guess enough must be getting through, he was last weighed 4 days ago and had put on 10ozs in 5 days but he's been sick much more since then rather than just spitting up.

I wondered if it might be to do with my supply because he really gulps at it especially if he hasnt fed for a couple of hours and maybe he's taking in more than he can cope with?

MW is coming round today anyway but can be hit and miss depending who it is how much they know about bfeeding

EauRouge Mon 02-May-11 14:19:23

Congrats on your new baby smile

I suffer from oversupply and fast let down and it can cause little babies to be sick. DD1 and DD2 both had it, I found trying different positions to feed in helped and also trying not to go too long between feeds and things also just improved as they got bigger. Try not to worry too much about the fore/hindmilk thing, one of the HVs I see is obsessed with it but it's not actually as clear cut as your boobs making 2 different kinds of milk, explanation here and this page has info about oversupply.

Is there a BF group near you? Try LLL or NCT.

mousymouse Mon 02-May-11 14:21:31

sounds a bit like reflux.
ds was like that when he was little. what really helped was letting him on only for 5 min at a time, then winding him. he had a really good weight gain despite sometimes vomiting twice a day or more.

lucielooo Mon 02-May-11 16:26:01

mousymouse did you DS find it distressing? I was under the impression that reflux=lots of crying. Baby doesn't seem upset by it just looks a bit suprised at all the milk pouring out of his mouth.

I am trying the idea of taking him off early and winding him and then putting him back on again, and no explosive sickness so far but he doesn't always seem inclined to go back on, so now worrying that he won't be getting enough??

soppypreggyloon Mon 02-May-11 16:26:46

Dd is 10 days old and doing same- now have NO clean clothes that fit her!
I remember ds doing same at a similar age. I'm guessing it's linked to growth spurt now-ish. Dd is drinking loads and more regularly so maybe she's ravenous but tummy can't keep up with what she wants. Only my non-medical theory tho.
Ds stopped being quite so sicky of his own accord after a little while and no problems since. (happy 2yo currently scoffing Easter eggs!) smile

mousymouse Mon 02-May-11 16:29:35

no, he just vomited and was happy afterwards. it was a bit as if he had an overflow valve that was triggered by one drop too much. didn't effect his growth at all, he was very big until he learned to crawl.
he is 4y now, healthily skinny and hardly ever sick smile

cloggs142 Fri 06-May-11 14:46:38

is baby just being sick or is it projectile? If so, really worth getting an appointment with the GP as is a sign of piloric stenosis (sp?)

chloesbaby Fri 06-May-11 17:03:57

my baby is four months and has been sick after nearly every feed since he was born. but it doesn't distress him, it just makes loads of mess. if your baby is gaining weight i wouldn't worry.

sh77 Fri 06-May-11 17:49:31

My ds went through the same thing at that age. He was having v frequent and long feeds and so this caused the sick as tummy could not hold the volume of milk he was taking in. He was also windy. At first I thought it was colic and tried cooked and infacol, which did not help much.

lucielooo Sat 07-May-11 12:08:42

cloggs its not projectile, just sort of pours out of his mouth..i think it might be when hes had too much or if he's taken a lot of wind in with it.. cant make up my mind. Tried infacol but it didnt make any difference so not bothering now. He's gaining plenty of weight so I guess its just 'one of those things'.. even if its a bit messy!

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Sun 14-Oct-12 17:39:01

Lucieloo did u ever get this sorted? My 9 day old is dOing the same thing sad

ZuleikaD Mon 15-Oct-12 07:55:55

If he's quite happy sicking then it's just normal overfull posseting. If he's in distress it might be reflux. DD was a happy sicker, DS was never sick at all.

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Mon 15-Oct-12 11:10:08

Well he is a little distressed mainly I think because he can't breathe for a few seconds sad I wouldn't call it posseting though, it's full on projectile vomit.

I'm pretty sure that mine us caused by oversupply / fast let down? He really gulps when he is at the breast, fir the first 2-3 mins he pulls off a lot & after 8 mins ish he pulls off and needs winding and after then after 15-18 minutes he vomits.

It's making me really anxious everytime I feed him. I've lost the ability to know if he is hungry or windy sad this means when he is hungry I'm taking too long to feed him because I burped him and then when I feed him straight away he often isnt hungry but does need winding so vomits!

Argh!! So frustrating. I'm tempted to express all my feeds and give him a slow teat bottle but then that's the worst of both worlds sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now