Talk

Advanced search

Breast Pads: Recommendations for the very milky!

(21 Posts)
LittleMsH Mon 18-Apr-11 09:31:04

Hi,

So, my DS is 5 weeks old and feeding every 2-3 hours, usually. Right since he was born I have had MASSES of milk (it automatically spurts in his face before he latches on -which is hilarious but messy). Whichever breast he's not on leaks and leaks when he's feeding and they often both leak when it's coming up to near feeding time.

I'm starting to get out and about and feeding in public, and although I'm not overly self-conscious about it, I'd rather not have massive patches of milk all over my clothes (the hot weather makes it even more of an issue!).

I've tried a variety of disposable breast pads, washable breastpads but none of them are working. I wondered if anyone had any tips/recommendations? I saw some silicone ones in the NCT catalogue but didn't know whether they'd be good (not breathable?). If all else fails I'll just invest in loads of light cardigans/cover-ups!

nannyl Mon 18-Apr-11 09:59:17

what about breast shells?

they catch the milk (and of sterilised etc you can store it for later use)

could have a shell on the breast you are not feeding on

Malvapoeding Mon 18-Apr-11 10:02:37

I found the tommee tippee one and the lansinoh ones best and I had severe oversupply problems too. Occasionally I used a washable one closest to my skin then a TT or lansinoh one attached to my bra.

hazchem Mon 18-Apr-11 10:37:35

i'm at about the same stage as you and finding the leaking a problem too. i'm using te silicone ones but with the addition of having a folded up muslin tucked into my bra. doing this means i can now get several hours between feeds before leaks showing through.
i've been told it will settle down. i hope so!

bluebeach Mon 18-Apr-11 13:11:42

I'm using lilly padz silicone pads for my leakers. Had them a week and so far so good, only very occasionally have they been unable to cope with the flow, much better than disposable pads as I was going through 25 every 2 days!
They cost about £15 but can last months if you look after them apparently.
they recommend using them after 4 weeks when you flow has settled a bit. I'm 6 weeks and they are ok for me.
Hope you find something that works for you xx

Cattleprod Mon 18-Apr-11 13:14:14

What about a sanitary towel or even an incontinence pad? I know the long thin shape is a bit different but they would be more absorbent.

Readytoburst Mon 18-Apr-11 13:59:05

Lansinoh are the best for me.

ChopMonster Mon 18-Apr-11 14:02:08

Lansinoh or Tommee Tippee work best for me, they're big, really absorbent and stick well.

Mummagumma Mon 18-Apr-11 16:40:31

Lansinoh are the only ones who could hold all my leakage (although I used muslins at night). They have some sort of absorbent gel - a bit like a disposable nappy, which seem to hold a lot more than all the other ones I tried.

PintOfStellaAndBuckfastChaser Mon 18-Apr-11 17:22:55

I bottle fed, but I was leaking milk up until DS was a month old.
I found breast pads useless at stopping leaks.
I ended up having to cut new-born sized nappies in half, and put a half in each bra cup.
It worked really well! I didn't even need to change my clothes after I started using the nappies!

Strega76 Mon 18-Apr-11 20:41:28

I collected the extra milk too as continued to leak spectacularly for well over a month. The worst was during the night when I forgot to put the shell in. It was a bit fiddly to start with but I could collect enough to fill a full milk bag every day. We then used this when my husband fed DS to give me a break. I think I used Medela shells as these were the most comfortable. Other than that, I have found Tommee Tippee the best breast pads by far. In the early days before I realised I could do this, I just stuffed a muslin cloth down one side, but even this was soaking. I'd forgotten what a complete faff all that was.

clothaddict Mon 18-Apr-11 21:01:23

I like the Johnson's ones best. I also leak a lot (although lot less now at 8 months, but still do need "super" pads). I found any cheaper ones like supermarket brands just soaked through in no time too and lots wet clothes. I also found them a bit scratchy on my skin. The Lansinoh and TT ones I also found good but I didn't like that they were individually wrapped, felt like extra waste to me and the Johnsons ones I found a better shape and fit for me and never leaked.

I do also have the lily padz too and they are good too, but earlier on in BF I found that they could still fill up with milk and leak a bit but nowadays for me they are great. Only downside I find is they kind of make my boobs smell a bit sweaty!! And I never know where to put them while I'm feeding and my 3 year old keeps stealing them to play with!

Blatherskite Mon 18-Apr-11 21:21:43

Lilypadz were fab for really leaky days but no matter how well I looked after them, I could never make mine last more than a few weeks and so I went through 3-4 pairs which made them mega expensive. Customer services were rubbish too when I asked for advice.

Might be worth it until your supply regluates though.

After that, Johnsons ones were good. Avoid Tesco own brand

SpawnChorus Mon 18-Apr-11 21:29:36

Ditto Lansinoh and Tommee Tippee - they were the only ones that worked for my ridiculously overabundant milk supply. Oh, I think Boots do version of them too. My boobs were ridiculously leaky for nearly a year, so these nappy-gel style pads were an absolute necessity.

edeluna Mon 18-Apr-11 21:43:44

I'm using the washable bamboo ones by Little Lambs. Got 10 for 10 quid from the Nappy Lady and I think they're great. Very absorbent, soft and comfy. Not adhesive, though, so you need to put them in a bra or in a top that will hold them in.

I've got in the habit of washing them by hand each time I change to a new pair, so I always have clean ones available.

LittleMsH Thu 21-Apr-11 16:09:43

Thanks so much for all the responses - really useful stuff. Will definitely try some of these suggestions out!

Brainless Wed 03-Aug-11 21:16:37

Little lamb pads are excellent, soft, reusable, washable and they don't leak - just brilliant. I bought mine from ebay, (10 pads for £10) and have bought more as they're so good.

buttonmoon78 Wed 03-Aug-11 22:02:29

grin at spawnchorus

I too leak a lot. I've never tried any of the 'premium' pads (always thought it wasn't worth it) but after this thread I'm going to give some a go. It's not so much of an issue during the day (I change them at each feed) but during the night I seem to have big problems.

orchidee Wed 03-Aug-11 22:35:48

I use Lansinoh disposable pads and find they can hold quite impressive amounts of milk. Whatever's inside turns into a gel, similarly to how disposable nappies work. I would recommend that whatever type you try, make sure they have a breathable cover to keep your nipples healthy.

Can I just say, this time last year I could not imagine talking / writing about my or anyone else's nipples on t'internet. smile

GetThePartyStarted Wed 03-Aug-11 22:39:02

Another vote for Lansinoh as they are really absorbent and big enough for it not to matter if they move around - if you have lots of milk breast shells Do Not Work In A Seriously Bad Way which will end in you covered in a shellfull of milk. Trust me!

RainySmallHands Wed 03-Aug-11 22:55:17

I tried breastshells and found them disastrous TBH. Quite an expensive mistake grin

I also tried washables unsuccessfully.

Asda do really good breastpads which soak up quite a lot and don't do that uneven crumpling thing that some do (hands up Superdrug and Mothercare...). And they're fantastically cheap, 2 boxes (40) for £2 If I remember correctly. Bargain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now