Talk

Advanced search

Can dieting effect milk supply?

(6 Posts)
tah2 Sun 16-Jan-11 10:54:19

I've been bf my dd who is now 21 wks so I thought milk supply was well established. However I recently started a diet as we are going on holiday in just over 3 weeks (a little late I know) but I think my milk supply is being effected. I usually wake up feeling really full but this morning I didn't feel full at all. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

ShowOfHands Sun 16-Jan-11 10:56:51

Unless you're utterly starving yourself and have been for some time then no. Diet doesn't affect bfing really.

It's normal to not wake up feeling full once supply is established. Your body stops making the excess and makes what your baby needs.

tah2 Sun 16-Jan-11 11:02:18

Thanks, I just needed a bit of reasurrance that I'm not depriving my baby of anything.

ShowOfHands Sun 16-Jan-11 11:11:48

It's fine. Your body is very clever indeed. Carry on feeding to your baby's requirement.

Your body will put your baby first actually so it's important to make sure you're not dieting too drastically or you'll just end up feeling a bit rubbish.

Have a lovely holiday.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 16-Jan-11 11:26:27

Not at all - I lost tons of weight dieting during breastfeeding without my supply being compromised. Of course if you are smaller, your norks may be too but even the smallest boobs make a good deal of milk.

imissbluesky Sun 16-Jan-11 11:32:23

I do find that my milk supply is less but so far it doesn't seem to affect baby. Also some info on kellymom suggest that you should eat enough calories but can diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now