Talk

Advanced search

frightening noises when feeding

(9 Posts)
bigkidsmademe Sun 16-Jan-11 09:06:54

hi

my lovely boy is now 7 days old. Feeding generally going well, he didn't lose any weight from birth. He looks very healthy.

However, in the last few days his breathing when feeding and afterwards has become really loud and tortured-sounding and it is panicking me. It sounds like he is struggling for breath. I have used the tube thing to suck out his nostrils but nothing there.

DH says that his breathing must be fine as he is continuing to feed for a long time, and he must just be noisy, but I hate it. However, I'm very anxious about him anyway so I'm not sure if I'm just winding myself up over nothing. Am I?

thanks

belgo Sun 16-Jan-11 09:22:54

Congratulations on your ds!

It could very well be that you are anxious about nothing, but can you get a midwife/health visitor/bfing expert to observe a feed to see exactly what is happening?

bigkidsmademe Sun 16-Jan-11 09:25:46

midwife not coming again till Friday but there is a drop-in feeding clinic near me, perhaps I'll try there. I didn't think of it outside immediate feeding problems

thanks

missnevermind Sun 16-Jan-11 09:36:55

My Ds was a complete guzzle guts. He made so much noise at first everybody could hear him, little moans, grunts, choking sounds all sorts. He settled down after a while and then just used to slurp occasionally.
Belgo has good advice, get somebody to listen in and observe just to put your mind at ease.

Sam1975 Sun 16-Jan-11 09:55:39

Congratulations!
My DS is now just over 3 weeks old and sounds like the heavy breathing he scared us with since his early days is similar to what you experience. A MW/GP can probably give you the peace of mind you need as all babies are different but just to let you know that my MW and health visitor said that it is very normal for young babies to have congested noses and to show this kind of heavy breathing, especially after a feed due to development of mucus. But again, probably best if you have him checked. All the best!

bigkidsmademe Sun 16-Jan-11 10:37:16

oh thank you

it is terrifying isn't it. I know he can breathe, he;s not blue! but still.

going to ring comm mw today

thanks everyone

Fernie3 Sun 16-Jan-11 11:11:16

When ny baby is really getting alot of milk( like if i haven't fed for a little while) she makes a sorting of deep rattly noise with each suck then a huge grunt when she swallows she still does this at nearly 6 months! Culd it be something like that?

bigkidsmademe Sun 16-Jan-11 12:44:01

I've just fed and noticed that it is only when I feed holding him across my body, not along, so only when he is lying flat. This suggests mucus to me? He's in his wee bouncy chair at the moment and sounds fine

perhaps I ought to do something about overwhelming anxiety too sad

MoonUnitAlpha Sun 16-Jan-11 13:01:37

He might still be a bit mucusy from the birth? My ds is 5 months and still occasionally seems to get a bit of milk going down the wrong way making him choke/splutter - doesn't stop him tring to feed though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: