Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask a question to those who bf in public?

(50 Posts)
HenriettaPeck Thu 13-Jan-11 21:42:45

Do you mind if people look at you when you are doing it? It's just that I always want to look because it's one of the most beautiful things ever, but I worry if I glance over what the mother might think, I'd be gutted if she thought i was being one of thoso horrible judgey people. I never managed to bf mine either so I'm a tad jealous too.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 13-Jan-11 21:44:16

Not if you look friendly and smile, or even have a chat.

I loved people coming over and cooing (as long as ds was firmly latched on!), asking how old ds was and things like that.

misdee Thu 13-Jan-11 21:45:17

i dont mind.

Honeydragon Thu 13-Jan-11 21:45:39

I don't mind a jot smile

picc Thu 13-Jan-11 21:46:22

nope

MotherJack Thu 13-Jan-11 21:47:00

I failed to breastfeed my son too, HP so I get where you are coming from, and I do look at mothers breastfeeding their child in public as, like you, I find it a lovely thing. I always make a point of smiling at them if they see me.

Cies Thu 13-Jan-11 21:47:18

I don't mind as long as you look friendly, smile etc. Although I find that I often concentrate on ds so I don't have to meet people'e eyes, just in case.

cluelessnchaos Thu 13-Jan-11 21:47:25

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, I am always amused by people trying to spare my blushes, it also helps that my mind is absolute mince in the first year of my babies life, especially while breastfeeding

PacificDogwood Thu 13-Jan-11 21:47:30

I don't mind. At all.

Except when Old Creepy Guy just stood right next to us and Stared. For ages. I think he had MH issues though.

thisisyesterday Thu 13-Jan-11 21:47:31

no, i LIKE when people look at me

i feel proud that I am (maybe) helping people to see that breastfeeding is normal, and that I am not a weird earth-mother hippy freak and that you can BF without people being forced to see your "baps" wink

so no, i don't mind at all

VeronicaCake Thu 13-Jan-11 21:48:11

Not at all. Indeed the only people I have noticed looking have been positive and smiley. It's nice.

HenriettaPeck Thu 13-Jan-11 21:48:17

I always smile, but often want to go and have a peak at the baby too

hellymelly Thu 13-Jan-11 21:48:17

I never minded, if someone looked smiley and friendly,in fact it really helped me feel more relaxed about it,if I was feeling a bit unconfident.

MrsPickles Thu 13-Jan-11 21:49:14

A smile is lovely. I have been breastfeeding in church when it was time to make the sign of the peace, I couldn't shake hands while I was feeding, but all the old ladies grinned like mad at me and some patted my baby on the head. Twas lovely.

BoobBuffet Thu 13-Jan-11 21:49:22

I never minded, I'm now the one wanting to coo and look since ds's boob rejection!

HenriettaPeck Thu 13-Jan-11 21:50:31

I agree that the more woman openly bf then women like might who struggled to bf might find it easier.

mjovertherainbow Thu 13-Jan-11 21:52:51

Message withdrawn

spiderlight Thu 13-Jan-11 21:54:15

It's never bothered me at all.

TheSecondComing Thu 13-Jan-11 21:54:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamjo Thu 13-Jan-11 21:54:54

I don't mind at all as long as it's friendly and smiley not gawping. Breast feeding in those 1st weeks was so tough I never thought I would be able to do it so am quite proud isn't little self.

thefirstMrsDeVere Thu 13-Jan-11 21:56:54

I dont mind though I can think of only a handful of times its happened (that I noticed) and I am bf DC 5!

Its lovely when people smile and nod. I particularly like it when its older women (and as I am 43 that means grannies!)

I have been leered at once but that was by a friends knobhead OH and his Hells Angels mates. Twats.

But mostly people dont notice.

MsFC Thu 13-Jan-11 21:57:23

Oh, I think I may be in the minority then, but I hate it. I hate it the most though when people come to my home while I'm feeding and peer over me to get a closer look. I KNOW you are looking in a loving way, but it's actually my body!

pozzled Thu 13-Jan-11 21:58:44

I wouldn't mind at all as long as it was clearly friendly. In the early days of bfing in public I did get a bit paranoid about what people would think. If anyone had looked without smiling I'd have worried about what they thought. But a smile would have been lovely.

BaronessBomburst Thu 13-Jan-11 21:58:44

I don't mind either, as long as people smile. Then I just smile back.

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Thu 13-Jan-11 22:00:21

I wouldn't mind a jot
and even though she is nearly four and hasn't been fed in public for a loong time (just cause it doesn't come up) I would assume you were being nice about it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now