Talk

Advanced search

How long between feeds for 6 month old?

(5 Posts)
HelenLG Thu 13-Jan-11 15:11:17

DS is 6 months and we're doing BLW so he's not getting much solid food. I normally offer him both boobs every 3.5 hours...

Last night he went 7 hours (7.30 - 2) without a feed and is now coming up to 4.5 hours (he's been asleep for 2 hours now...)

Just wondered what other people had found?

Lizbertnobacon Thu 13-Jan-11 20:04:39

At 6mo my dd was still feeding every 2-3 hours in the day and once or twice in the night. She is now 7.5mo and is only having 3 bf during the day and normally one in the night. I think i was in the habit of offering every 2 hours but when she started eating more solids and I stopped offering she didn't mind at all. I would have fed her if she had wanted it but she just didn't seem to notice the difference at all. It was done gradually over about a month too, she didn't just drop feeds overnight.
Perhaps as you increase the solids just wait to be asked rather than offer a boob and you might be surprised how long he can go.

HelenLG Fri 14-Jan-11 09:27:03

I think I'm just still in the habit of thinking, 'Oh it's nearly 4 hours, I must make sure he eats before it goes over 4 hours, I can't leav him longer...'

hidegoseek Fri 14-Jan-11 09:30:13

DD is slightly younger at 5 months but in the last week or so has started going longer between feeds.

I'm still offering her feeds at least every 3 hours and she will often take a feed but then promptly throw it back up if she wasn't really ready for it hmm, so am taking that as a sign that she only needs what she is asking for!

LooL00 Fri 14-Jan-11 09:33:53

Dc3 is 28w and needs feeding every 2.5 to 3 hours day and night and has not really taken to solids. Dc1 and 2 could do 4 or 5 hours in the day and 8 or 9 at night at that age but took to solids a bit quicker.The other 2 just started refusing feeds or taking less, so i don't think you need to consciously do anything about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now