Talk

Advanced search

Frozen milk from July - 6 months ago - can I use?

(14 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Thu 13-Jan-11 10:51:35

Is it 6 months it lasts? Checked kellymom and think it is to use by 6 months (normal freezer isn't 'deep freeze' is it?).

Thanks

Flojo1979 Thu 13-Jan-11 11:18:47

most sources recommend 1 month not 6!

sheeplikessleep Thu 13-Jan-11 11:23:54

arse, got about 15oz in there

nymphadora Thu 13-Jan-11 11:32:42

I read 6 m Or 3 depending on twmp

sheeplikessleep Thu 13-Jan-11 11:33:28

twmp?

HappyAsASandboy Thu 13-Jan-11 11:46:55

A 'normal' freezer, as in one that is just a freezer and not within a fridge or a tabletop one, is a deep freeze (-18 celsius). I think it is 6 months in this type of freezer.

mawbroon Thu 13-Jan-11 12:37:46

Kellymom says 6 - 12 months at -19C.

If it had been in my freezer, which is -19c according to the built in thermometer, I would use it.

I guess you just have to make your own judgement regarding your freezer.

sheeplikessleep Thu 13-Jan-11 12:54:50

it has been in the freezer, yes (although it is about 8 years old and seal isn't great on it, the ice-cream is rock hard when it comes out, which i've read means it is at the right temperature).

i've also read it is obvious if milk has 'gone' as it smells when warmed up.

i think i'll try ds2 with a bit and check he is fine.

thanks for posting.

TruthSweet Thu 13-Jan-11 13:32:39

I (well DH did as I can't cope with doing it) poured 360mls of expressed milk down the drain last week (also frozen in July - about 9 pumping sessions judging by the layers of milk in the 3 bottles sad).

Our milk was stored in the main freezer in the top drawer (fast freeze section) and is kept at -18C BUT I do use the freezer most days so it's not a complete constant unlike the freezer that lived in the garage (which died over xmas) as that was open once or twice a week at most.

Check it smells fine and isn't lumpy and the fat settles back in when swirled gently. If it does it's probably fine just less than usual antibodies/live cells.

Flojo1979 Thu 13-Jan-11 17:19:23

Try DC2 and see if fine?? Are u crazy??
If in doubt throw it out!!!
I know expressing milk is a real time consuming pain in the a***!! But seriously? u r talking about your kids health, nothing is worth risking making them ill or worse.
Throw it out and buy a tin of formula!!

sheeplikessleep Thu 13-Jan-11 19:21:21

Flojo - no, I'm not crazy. From looking on various websites, they seem to range between 6 and 12 months (couldn't find any saying a month - I'd be interested to know where you read that?).

As it is on the cusp of 6 months, as they've been stored at the back of the freezer and as I will check it meets the things as truthsweet suggests carefully, then I'll make a decision then. Providing it doesn't smell. I've read that it is quite obvious if breastmilk has gone bad by the smell.

If I do have doubts, I obviously won't use it.

mawbroon Thu 13-Jan-11 22:46:58

I can almost understand your over reaction Flojo, given that you said downthread that you think it's 1 month. There are reputable sources quoting 6 months or longer eg here, so the OP is not taking the risk that you think she is.

Where did you get the 1 month thing from?

Flojo1979 Fri 14-Jan-11 12:20:35

It was the "try DS2 and check he is fine" that shocked me.

sheeplikessleep Fri 14-Jan-11 12:54:16

flojo - as always, i wrote that post quickly. to elaborate, i meant that i would check the milk thoroughly before using. i would never risk my children's health. i guess that from the responses here and my own googling, that there isn't really a risk and that it would smell funny if it was off anyway. there's no way i'd risk milk if it had been at room temperature for too long or reheat it or anything like that. i'm talking about being on the absolute limit anyway (and some say 12 months). i chuck food off if it is past it's sell by date, believe me i don't take these things lightly. maybe my post didn't reflect that, but it was written quickly and i felt reassured by the other posts. if he turns it down or doesn't look sure, i wouldn't risk it then.
hope that clarifies my last post.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: