Talk

Advanced search

dd 7 wks wide awake till 1am.

(14 Posts)
familyfun Tue 11-Jan-11 15:02:15

dd2 is bf and is feeding roughly every 3 hrs on demand during the day, she sleeps in the buggy taking and fetching dd to nursery and then has quite a lot of sleep in the day plus a few sessions when she is wide awake and i play with her on the mat.
but from 7pm till 1am she is feeding or crying and will not be put down.
i am sitting downstairs till 1am and im so tired. i literally get a feeling like im totally drained and i cant talk, dp says i sound drunk.
dd feeds well but cries a lot with wind and sicks after every feed.
she sleeps from 1am till 8am so once asleep she is very good.
she is gaining weight well, feeds quickly, 5 mins mostly, very contented in the day, when awake she is happy to lie and play, not crying.
why does she cry all evening?
how can i get her to settle earlier?
i cant go upstairs with her as she wakes dd1 up.
is this all normal?

greentig3r Tue 11-Jan-11 16:11:40

This sounds very like my 8wk old DD, except she feeds at least every 2 hours even in the night. HV reckons the evening crying is just classic baby behaviour (not reflux like we thought- there's a fair amount of sick involved). But very happy apart from that time in evening. No advice i'm afraid but you're not alone.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Jan-11 19:58:21

familyfun she sounds very much like by DS but he never quite go the hang of after 1am.

I realised after a while that the only way we could all get some sleep was to co-sleep. Is that an option for you?

It does sound like perfectly normal behaviour though.

familyfun Tue 11-Jan-11 20:23:02

at least im not alone smile
do you feel so tired you cant talk, i feel like all my muscles flop. hmm

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Jan-11 20:37:15

family if you are feeding a baby in the middle of the night, you're definitely not alone. You only have to log onto MN to see how many Mums are up in the night grin

pinkyp Tue 11-Jan-11 20:46:56

you've justdescribed my 5 week old! he's awake til 2am tho

familyfun Tue 11-Jan-11 21:08:53

i expect to night feed, its just i cant put her down between feeds all evening or she cries.and lots of sick

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Jan-11 21:16:09

family have you spoken to a Bfing Counsellor? If you are concerned at all it might be worth giving one of the helplines a call this evening, before your long night begins.

familyfun Tue 11-Jan-11 21:58:17

i have in the past few weeks and they have helped me out, dd has had a bath and is more chilled tonight so im hopeful.

pinkyp Wed 12-Jan-11 18:09:48

maybe ask ur hv? my son doesnt have any sick unless he hasnt been winded...maybe dd is overfeeding, perhaps for comfort and throwing it back up as she hasnt got room?

HappyAsASandboy Thu 13-Jan-11 11:41:52

I've not had a problem with putting my babies down in the evening (thank you babies smile), but I wanted to say I feel the same draining feeling and can't construct a sentance when I feed in the evening (and at ther times, feeding or not! grin). I kind of zone out, which my mum says looks a bit freaky, completely like there is nobody home!

My twins are 12 weeks now and the draining feeling is happening less often, so you might find it gets better in a few weeks.

familyfun Thu 13-Jan-11 14:28:05

i cant even imagine feeding twins, smile

dd seems to start to feed then she pulls off and screams and gets sprayed with milk, i wonder if it comes out too fast for her, she keeps going on and off and has terrible wind and i have to keep winding her and she does huge burps and then the sick. i noticed today she also sick when she poos which tend to be during or after each feed.

she has fed more the last few days and my supply has been building up so im hoping it regulates again soon.

thanks for all the replies.

familyfun Thu 13-Jan-11 14:29:50

oh and with regards to feeling so drained, i went to docs last night with a lump near my groin and i have swollen glands and an infection so that may be why my face and neck felt so funny, as well as being tired.

Lynzjam Thu 13-Jan-11 14:50:01

How about feeding her more during the day? When my DD was that age i would just feed feed feed until.l 10 pm when she always went down. I only have the one LO so it was easier for me to do that mind you.

Sounds like your little one might be cluster feeding til 1 am. Maybe keeping her up more during the day might help? Sounds like you have a happy baby though! Mine hated lying down to be played with!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: