Talk

Advanced search

How much food does your bf 7month old have?

(7 Posts)
littlehedgehog Tue 11-Jan-11 13:00:59

DD not that interested. Will taste everything, likes fruit but not much else. This is DC3 and I'm sure the other two were eating more but then I also started a bit earlier. She drinks milk on demand. I'm nervous already about leaving her in 2,5 months when I'm going back to work full time. When do you start to give food before milk?

LooL00 Tue 11-Jan-11 13:06:08

My bf dc3 is 28w and really has not taken to food yet. I'm hoping she will start eating stuff off a spoon soon.At the moment she is very enthusiastic but totally incompetent with finger food but I'm not really happy with just finger food as she wakes to feed so much in the night so I'd like to be getting more down her.

littlehedgehog Tue 11-Jan-11 13:32:22

Yes, and then there's the sleep, but that's a whole other story. Also hoping eating more in the day will help sleep in the night.

AngelDog Tue 11-Jan-11 15:15:00

Kellymom recommends not giving food before milk till after 12 months unless you're planning on weaning before then.

It's totally normal for a 7 month old not to be that interested - even getting towards 12 months some babies don't eat much.

It often takes till 9 or 10 months before they realise that food fills them up, which is the point at which they really start to need the extra vitamins etc. I think that's quite a common time for them to suddenly 'get into' solids.

HTH

littlehedgehog Tue 11-Jan-11 16:17:32

Thanks Angeldog. I just keep reading about all these babies of 6 or 7 months eating 3 meals a day and I doubt she is having one meal a day in total! My other 2 were very different so just when you think you know what your doing eh? smile

AngelDog Tue 11-Jan-11 20:10:09

My DS was having 2 or 3 meals a day at 6 months, but my idea of 'a successful meal' was to play with the food a bit, maybe throw it off the chair and possibly eat a bit too.

I'd relax - she'll get the idea eventually, and there does seem to be a huge range in the speed with which babies take to solids.

I was reading just earlier in the Politics of Breastfeeding about a 15 month old who had flatly refused all solids up till then and was still growing really well. The paediatrician who saw him was asked if he'd checked the LO's iron levels. His reply was "no, I couldn't catch him". grin

duchesse Tue 11-Jan-11 20:18:21

My DD3 ate NOTHING at 7 months- there are still threads on here from 9 months ago asking about it. She is fine! Petite and didn't need anything more than milk. Still doesn't eat much now (still BF at 16 months) and fit as a fiddle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: