Talk

Advanced search

evening feeding frenzy

(5 Posts)
pyjamalover Fri 07-Jan-11 08:29:02

I am EBF my 6 week old (1st baby), he loves feeding, feeds often in the day and twice at night, and is doing well. In the evenings he is just insatiable, he doesn't go to sleep then wake up half an hour later, he just feeds and feeds for up to 4 hours on and off on a bad night before he will settle. I don't think he's comfort sucking as he definitely gets to a point (eventually) where he's satisfied and then his first sleep of the night is usually 4-5 hours. I express some milk (usually 100-120ml) in the morning when my supply is high, then get DH to give that before the BF frenzy begins in the evening.

My question is how long does this last? this is exhausting for me. I don't want to give formula (although I realise this would probably be a solution). is there anything else i can do to make this easier for me?

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 07-Jan-11 08:36:21

This is called cluster feeding, and is very common! See here www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

There is also a biiiig growth spurt at 6 weeks. Don't give formula or your supply won't be able to regulate to meet your baby's demand.

Make it easier for yourself by setting yourself up on the sofa and having your DH cook dinner and bring you drinks grin

pyjamalover Fri 07-Jan-11 08:54:43

thanks, that describes my sitation perfectly. at least I know this phase will pass in a couple of months, and worth it as he is a happy baby the rest of the time (mostly!)

I have been spending the evenings with the lights low in the bedroom to try and cue to him it is now nighttime (in the day I sit on the sofa and watch tv) but this actually makes it more boring and frustrating for me so I might sit downstairs as you suggest.

LindtLover Fri 07-Jan-11 08:54:58

Cluster feeding is exhausting and with mine lasted until about 10 weeks and then there were the occasional few weeks when they had a growth spurt. The only way to make it easier really is to try to get as much rest as you can through the rest of the day (I know, chance would be a fine thing! wink ), set yourself up on the sofa with the remote, some snacks and a big drink.
Half way through the evening I used to change to our bed and feed lying down, once finished feeding DH would take DD and put her to bed and I'd go straight to sleep before she woke back up for more!

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 07-Jan-11 08:57:54

I spent a lot of time in bed watching movies on a laptop with headphones in - still dark/quiet/calm for the baby but not so dull for you. I got through every episode of True Blood!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: