Talk

Advanced search

Reflux and winding

(10 Posts)
cowes Thu 06-Jan-11 17:30:08

Hi mums
I wondered if anyone had any advice on winding first. I am rubbing my 7 week old babies back and patting slightly, and she also has reflux so is often sick. My question is once a burp has been omitted how long should you wind for? When do you know winding is done if she has burped or passed wind?
Also, does anyone have any tips for reducing the amount their baby is sick, with reflux, particularly when they are laid down to sleep at night? I have an appointment to get some medication for her next week but would like some tips if any of you have them.
Thanks!
x

xMrsSx Thu 06-Jan-11 18:57:05

quick post sorry, have you tried raising the head of the cot/moses basket so your LO is sleeping on a bit of an angle? Might help.

Iggly Thu 06-Jan-11 19:02:15

Hold upright for at least 20 mins after a feed.

I used to put DS down on his left hand side, not his back, with his cot on an incline using cot blocks.

I used to wind for about 20 - 30 mins as that's how long it took to get a burp out. If he still seemed uncomfy then I'd keep going. If you swaddle this can help with bum wind, especially at night.

I also used a dummy sometimes after a feed as it stopped him sicking up so much as the sucking would make everything stay down.

LeggyBlondeNE Thu 06-Jan-11 19:13:24

I'll second putting to sleep on their side.

We also raised the head of the basket although this did lead to some rolling to the edges more easily!

cowes Thu 06-Jan-11 23:31:40

Thanks everyone ... I'll give that all a go. x

HappyAsASandboy Thu 06-Jan-11 23:37:13

I second the dummy reccommendation. After feeding, my two normally manage one or two really big burps within a few minutes of feeding, then I continue to hold them upright (me standing with them held on my front with legs dangling straight works best) for another 20 mins or so, offering the dummy when they start chewing fists/rooting (knowing from experience that they're not rooting cos they're hungry, they just want to suck. If I give them the breast again at this point they suck a bit, vomit, suck a bot, vomit etc, while a dummy generally settles them).

I didn't find raising the head of the cot made much difference.

edwardscissorhands Sat 08-Jan-11 03:48:12

HappyAsASandboy - I've been told to hold my DS against me with legs dangling, to open up his tight diaphragm. But I don't find this easy. Where do you place your hands? How high above his chest? And do you find his legs dangle in a relaxed way quite quickly. I don't. Also - when I hold him away from me in the air so he dangles his legs freely, where should I hold him? Under his arms (Which is what I've been doing?)

Thanks

Restrainedrabbit Sat 08-Jan-11 03:51:12

Second everything Iggly said

becks20 Sat 08-Jan-11 21:34:22

I have the same problem with my 9 week old son as well so will try the holding upright for 20 mins and see if that makes a difference so thank you!!

A dummy does help as he has one and it does settle him a lot. I found that raising the mattress hasn't helped him but thats not to say it won't help other little ones.

Thanks

HappyAsASandboy Sun 09-Jan-11 14:44:17

edwardscissorhands - I hold them with their heads around boob height (in the middle of my body), with one hand on their back and one between their legs sort of holding their bottoms. When their legs are still bent up hight, I alternate this with up on my shoulder as I think the movement helps to move the air around. Quite often the babies sort of 'list' over to one side when held down my front, ending up almost in the cradle hold again - I just keep them moving really.

Hope this helps smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now