Talk

Advanced search

formula for an emergency

(17 Posts)
shirleyhyypia Thu 06-Jan-11 02:47:41

My DS is BF, if i leave him with anyone i leave a bottle of EBM. However I also left a carton of formula last time i went out, as hes having a growth spurt and feeding a lot, and i was worried i'd be delayed getting back cause of the snow.

He did need it, but would not take it at all (i dont blame him, i tasted it, it was disgusting!). Any suggestions if one milk is any better than another? I've also tried mixing his baby rice with it to get him used to the taste, but he didnt like that either.

(Blegh. I like baby rice with BM, but made up with F it tasted like wallpaper paste!!!)

babeinthewood Thu 06-Jan-11 02:59:36

are you sure its the formula? and not the bottles? Ive always used Aptamil for my babies. remember formula is thicker, maybe try watering it down?? I dont know if your supposed to or not, just a suggestion smile

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Thu 06-Jan-11 03:06:25

I've always felt Hipp Organic is the least noxious formula. Youre right that some of them are pretty disgusting (not that I spend a lot of time drinking formula but have tasted baby rice/other foods mixed with it). Can't remember whether it comes in cartons or not though.

OTOH if could be the bottles he doesn't like. Will he take it from a sippy cup or a doidy cup?

elvisgirl Thu 06-Jan-11 04:35:13

Could you not leave more EBM? It need not go to waste if he doesn't want it as you could always use it for the next feed if it has been stored properly & then express for the missed actual breastfeed.

BaggedandTagged Thu 06-Jan-11 11:45:47

I also use HIPP Organic (I give 1 FF a day, bf the rest of the time).

DS appears to like it, so maybe try that.

shirleyhyypia Thu 06-Jan-11 18:29:07

I think the bottles are okay, he takse the EBM from them fine. My boobs dont like the pump nowerdays, I can only get max of a bottle, even after a couple of sessions. And if I keep it any longer than 24 hours it goes off.

scgd Thu 06-Jan-11 20:03:57

I think you can keep ebm in the fridge for 3 days?

parched Thu 06-Jan-11 20:12:40

You can also freeze EBM. You could build up a stock and defrost when required.

Sassles Thu 06-Jan-11 20:17:13

I breastfeed except for a bottle of Aptimal at bedtime. He doesn't seem to mind.

Sassles Thu 06-Jan-11 20:18:20

Does he take EBM from a bottle ok or is it that he isn't used to a bottle?

Beveridge Thu 06-Jan-11 20:28:35

DD went through a phase of refusing bottles at around 4-6 months but seemed more willing to take defrosted EBM than fresh - it's supposed to taste a bit different so I wonder if that's what did it.

Wouldn't recommend watering formula down, even as a one-off.

japhrimel Thu 06-Jan-11 20:36:07

Fresh EBM kept at the back of a fridge set to 1-4C shouldn't go off after a day - it should last 3-8 days kept like that. Defrosted EBM doesn't last so long. If you're keeping fresh EBM correctly and it's going off, I'd wonder if something is wrong there - could you have an infection?

shirleyhyypia Fri 07-Jan-11 00:35:22

I hadnt thought of that. Dont have any obvious signs but will speak to HV.

Its def going off after 24 hours. My DH insisted it was off and I told him that wasnt possible so tasted it and it 100% had gone off. [sick]
The bottle was sterile and no probs with the fridge.

The bottle def isnt the problem, he has the EBM from it, and started drinking the formula, he just REALLY didnt like it! I even tried giving it to him mid feed so he wasnt starving hungry and no luck.

theborrower Fri 07-Jan-11 11:32:45

Sorry to interrupt, but in response to babinthewood's suggestion - No, you are not supposed to water down formula, it's formulated correctly and fine as it is (and you would never ever ever water down powdered stuff). I don't think formula is thicker (you don't need to use bigger holed teats, for example), but yes, it does taste different and not as sweet as breastmilk. All formulas are pretty much made the same but apparently babies may prefer one brand over another (perhaps they taste ever so slightly different) so perhaps try a few and see what he thinks?

Or, perhaps the formula is at a different temperature from the EBM and it's the temperature difference he doesn't like? My friend had an awful job getting her BF baby to take formula to start with and it was the temperature that was the problem - baby would only take it really warm.

parched Fri 07-Jan-11 16:17:54

You can also mix EBM with formula, so perhaps you could try a 90/10 EBM/formula mix, then 80/20 at next feed and so on.

WannabeaShootingStar Fri 07-Jan-11 17:09:28

I have always used aptamil and all my DDs (x3) have had no problem switching between the two when mixed feeding HTH

Porcelain Fri 07-Jan-11 17:17:55

I always leave one expressed feed more than I expect him to need, and have a small stock of frozen feeds just in case. If you don't want to leave a surplus to go to waste, then the frozen option might work for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now