Talk

Advanced search

Anyone experienced in breastfeeding older babies?? id REALLY love some advice if anyones got a minute??

(8 Posts)
CharlotteACavatica Tue 04-Jan-11 21:11:39

Feeling abit torn sad dd2 is just 11 months and still breastfed, she's abit fond of her feeds still, but im not sure wether or not she would strongly object if i stopped them. Trouble is she's never had a great latch (she has tongue-tie) but weve managed, ive not had any discomfort really and my supply has always been excellent, and dd has always been very content, but the last few weeks she has starting 'gnawing' away at my nipple during feeds, she still feeding on and off, but chewing and biting on my nipple and sucking like she's sucking through a straw (bloody ouch!! lol), do i stop feeds once and for all, and just put her on other milk? i personally would miss it, but id be relieved too, but if she got upset and wanted a breastfeed i know id instantly feel bad and let her have a feed! Ugh what do i do? my poor nipples are red, sore, cracking, im so uncertain as to what i can do! Id love it if someone could advise/help me! xxx

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 04-Jan-11 21:14:28

If the latch was all fine would you want to carry on?

It's quite common for older babies to get a bit lazy with their latch. Work on the latch and take her off when she's mucking about at the breast and she'll soon realise that mucking about equals no milk.

Groovymoves Tue 04-Jan-11 21:17:24

Agree with Iliketomoveit, take her off when she faffs about.

Could she be teething? My DD will get very chewy especially when cutting the big molars.

cece Tue 04-Jan-11 21:21:16

I had about 2 months or so of poor latch and bleeding nipples with DC3 at about 12 months of age. He was teething a lot. The LLL has some good advice on biting and gnawing on their website.

You need to persist with improving the latch. Take her off and re latch her. I also found stopping a bf if he was misbehaving helped.

He is still bf at 19 months old. Although I am now thinking of stopping as I want my evenings back!

CharlotteACavatica Tue 04-Jan-11 21:48:02

Oh thankyou everyone! Erm yes, i would carry on if the latch was all fine, BUT i would also be fine with stopping lol - she is my 4th child and i have breastfed them all, im on my own too, so having her off the breast would be easier in some ways.....
I have tried taking her off the breast when she plays around, but she doesnt seem bothered and makes no attempt to get it back or protest at me takig it from her, she just turns away and amuses herself with my other children or a toy etc. When i try to remove her to relatch her she's fine for a few seconds or a minute and then she grabs my breast and pinches it around my nipple while she yanks away at my nipple with her gums (THANKFULLY she has no teeth yet!!) I cant imagine my flow of milk has suddenly become too fast or too slow?? maybe she is bored of breastfeeding now, but then, when i do offer her a feed she is very relieved and excited for it... [sigh] feel like im going round in circles!

LeninGrad Tue 04-Jan-11 21:53:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CharlotteACavatica Wed 05-Jan-11 09:48:28

Thanks LeninGrad, im hoping it will pass quickly, really not sure my poor boobs can take much more abuse!! lol

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Jan-11 10:02:37

If this was sorted would you want to continue?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now