Talk

Advanced search

when did your LO stop falling asleep on boob...its driving me mad!

(16 Posts)
greeneone12 Tue 04-Jan-11 11:35:47

My DD is 2 months. When do they stop? I try to keep her awake...its messing up her sleep! She is such a booby demon and is 11lb 11 so is putting on weight. Just wish she could stay alert on the job.

Sarah
X

tiktok Tue 04-Jan-11 11:39:54

greenone12 - this is normal infant behaviour....in what way does it mess up her sleep?

She's clearly healthy, so she does not need to not fall asleep in order to be well-nourished

Sometimes it is easier to accept a situation like this, knowing that as she grows she will become less and less liable to do it simply because of her normal developmental stages - certainly easier than trying to change things and getting stressed about it

greeneone12 Tue 04-Jan-11 11:59:21

I know you are right and in a few months I will struggle to keep her still but I am trying to get a loose sleep routine going and she has had her morning nap already. I am still getting used to going with the flow and being more patient as patience doesn't come naturally to me! I guess if she is asleep again she must be tired!

tiktok Tue 04-Jan-11 12:06:23

Why is having her morning nap in the morning a problem ?

Little babies do need to sleep, and it's important to let them (unless they are not gaining weight and are sleeping to save energy) - perhaps she is just too young to be in a routine?

greeneone12 Tue 04-Jan-11 12:17:08

Sorry - I meant she had already slept for an hour and a half from 9.40am and now she is napping again quite soon after and after quite a short feed.

Tbh I am driving myself slightly mad as everyone around me is setting strict bedtime for their dcs and its making me feel anxious

Need to keep repeating this mantra: go with the flow!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 04-Jan-11 12:27:46

Yup, go with the flow.... Don't worry about routines and set bedtimes at these age, she is still only tine grin. Be led by baby, and just enjoy her, this time is so very short.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 04-Jan-11 12:28:00

tine=tiny

greeneone12 Tue 04-Jan-11 12:33:07

When is she classed as not so tiny? I don't want to miss the window for setting a bath/bed routine at least. X

EauRouge Tue 04-Jan-11 12:33:12

Yes, do go with the flow, you sound like you're stressing yourself out trying to keep up with what other mums are doing. It will do your DD no harm to not have a set bedtime or nap times. You may find that in a month or so she will settle into her own little routine, my DD did at 3 months with her naps, they became a bit more predictable.

I think the people around you are slightly mad for setting a strict bedtime for a 2 mo grin

tiktok Tue 04-Jan-11 12:41:14

'Strict' bedtime for a young baby??? That can be a recipe for stress.

And there is no window for setting a routine - you can start one at any time. I can see if you think there is a window (and honestly, there is not ) then you might be worried about missing it.

There's nothing to miss!

Enjoy your lovely, normal, perfectly-healthy-sleeping baby - the morning you have just described is I would say typical of a baby of this age.

Please don't be anxious about what other people are doing. There is no rule about having to do the same as other people - how could there be? Babies have different needs.

CountBapula Tue 04-Jan-11 12:42:35

Make the most of it - my DS (14wks) stopped feeding to sleep 3 weeks ago and we now have one helluva fight on our hands to get him to sleep at all ...

BuckBuckMcFate Tue 04-Jan-11 13:29:51

It sounds perfectly normal to me too smile

DS3 is 7 weeks and our morning sounds nearly identical to yours.

The only routine we have with him so far is bathtime, but only because he enjoys his bath so much and it fits in with getting the other DC ready for bed. So far it has had little impact on what time he settles for the night though.

I can understand why you are feeling that you should have a routine if others around you are doing it but IME it can be a pretty pointless exercise and make you feel more stressed.

Make the most of her feeding to sleep, I've always found it a lovely time for marvelling at how amazing your baby is and how clever you are for making her grin

Nagoo Tue 04-Jan-11 13:38:31

baby is yours, not the 'other mums'.

I never tried to have a routine. I've been quite happy to just service the needs of my DCs as and when they arrive. If it cries, feed it, change it, etc etc.

Friends that have routines like them because it makes them feel secure, like they know what they are doing. If having a routine is stressing you out, then don't try to have one!

With Ds we started reading to him and doing bedtime at about 12 weeks I think, maybe a bit earlier. I've now got dd who is 5 weeks and I don't try to do any routine with her yet, besides turning the lights down in the evening. (I sit in the dark and feed her at about half 10, that seems to reset her mechanism so she knows it's bedtime, but check back in 2 days and I'm sure that will have changed! )

Comparisons are designed to make you feel crap, so don't compare.I did actually get the mumsnet baby book out of the library when I had DS. I liked it because I could just pick out the bits that said I was right and ignore the rest grin

Cosmosis Tue 04-Jan-11 14:10:14

I would say if she's falling asleep, she must be tired so let her sleep!

Towanmummies Tue 04-Jan-11 14:20:16

ds has a particular narky cry which means i'm tired and it's up to YOU to try and get me to sleep.... so nice of him. or he falls asleep on boob then wakes as soon as i put him in his moses basket. that's getting tedious too.

on a more helpful note when he was born we had to keep waking him to feed, mw suggested tickling toes, changing nappy etc so if you're worried she hasn't fed enough (and is therefore going to wake up both hungry AND tired in 1/2 hour or so) you could try that.

generally i find myself either worrying that he's slept for too long, or that he hasn't eaten enough.... i think that's just the pnd talking confused but on the plus side it means i haven't got time to worry about him not being in a routine. grin

MamaChris Tue 04-Jan-11 14:41:50

ds1 fell asleep when feeding (and only when feeding) till 6+ months old. this was a PITA.

dt2 has refused to fall asleep feeding since 6-8 weeks old. this is also a PITA.

don't worry about routine yet. if she sleeps when she feeds, then she's probably tired.

but if you can spot when she's getting tired, and help her get used to falling asleep in a variety of ways (buggy, cot, sling, rocked, feeding, not necessarily all of these, but some) then you'd be setting up some healthy sleep habits for when she seems ready for a routine, ie when the times she wants to nap become predictable.

being able to feed her to sleep can be very useful as she gets older and goes through phases when she's upset (eg teething) - be glad she's practicing this skill

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: