Talk

Advanced search

Can I give my 11wk old juice??

(20 Posts)
KazBoyle Mon 03-Jan-11 18:39:48

Hi there, I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I'd like to know what you think about giving my 11 week old daughter juice, and can I feed it to her using a bottle? (she's too little to use a sippy cup)

My mother says I am okay to give juice to her in a bottle but websites contradict this saying Never to bottle feed juice.

I very rarely even give her water in a bottle as she tends not to like it, should I preservere with the water and start introducing some juice as she gets older?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

ruddynorah Mon 03-Jan-11 18:41:03

She doesn't need juice, or water unless it is very hot where you are.

MoonUnitAlpha Mon 03-Jan-11 18:41:34

No, don't give her juice at all especially not in a bottle. Does she even need water? I'd just stick with milk til nearer 6 months.

Littlefish Mon 03-Jan-11 18:44:32

She doesn't need juice.

catinthehat2 Mon 03-Jan-11 18:44:38

Coca cola is preferable to juice for anyone over 10 weeks.

You can give diet coke any time from 12 weeks.

Bumperlicious Mon 03-Jan-11 18:45:08

Why do you think she needs juice? Or anything more than milk? I wouldnt. I'm not sure you even need to give her water at this stage but then I don't formula feed so not sure (just assuming you ff based on the fact you think you need to give your lo something else. Breastfed babies tend not to need water at this age).

You'd just be filling her up perhaps making her less hungry for more nutritious milk.

MummyBerryJuice Mon 03-Jan-11 18:46:52

She needs neither water nor juice.

DOn't make your life more difficult than it already is. There will be plenty of time to experiment with those things later.

Bumperlicious Mon 03-Jan-11 18:47:28

Also, no offence to your mum but advice changes over the years, usually for the better and mums often have very outdated ideas (as well as very good ones!)

lal123 Mon 03-Jan-11 18:48:06

Why do you want to give her juice? catinthehat2 - I can't believe you are being so irresponsible?? COKE?? shock Everyone knows that the only thing apart from milk which should be in a bottle at this age is tea - milk and 2 sugars

catinthehat2 Mon 03-Jan-11 18:49:30

I mean FFS.

What are you thinking? ARE you thinking?

What does she need juice for?

Really, all mammals know this, cows, cats, dogs, mice.

Why should humans be any different? Are you going round all thge parenting websites asking this question to see if someone breaks down and says, no, by all means gice your tiny <3month old something that isn't milk?

Use some common sense.

Yes I am flaming you.

KazBoyle Mon 03-Jan-11 18:50:06

thanks for your comments and I agree, I reckon I will leave it for now as she seems to be okay with the milk - the thought would never have entered my head had it not been for my mum suggesting it (and gasping when i told her I hadn't given my daughter juice!)

catinthehat2 Mon 03-Jan-11 18:50:21

Tea is fine as well wink

Meglet Mon 03-Jan-11 18:50:39

No juice!

catinthehat2 Mon 03-Jan-11 18:51:27

Kaz, go and flame your mother for me.

" the thought would never have entered my head" has made me breathe a sigh of relief.

headfairy Mon 03-Jan-11 18:52:56

was your mother a young mother in the 70s op? My mum was told to give me frozen concentrated orange juice from three months to "fatten me up" (I was ginormous, can't think what size she thought I was supposed to be!)

Most things they did in the 70s have changed, including this. Don't give your baby anything than milk (formula or breast) for 6 months. Nada, rien, nothing. Just milk.

thisisyesterday Mon 03-Jan-11 18:53:29

absolutely no need to give juice

if you are breastfeeding there is no need for water either

KazBoyle Mon 03-Jan-11 18:56:04

@catinthehat

thanks for the kick up the bum!! and I'm not a complete moron I was simply asking the question based on the advice (albeit rubbish) from my mum

Evidently I knew it was wrong just by the fact that I had to ask the question in the first place...I just wanted some reassurance that what I thought was correct...

Give me a break, I'm a new mum, I'm still learning

Bumperlicious Mon 03-Jan-11 19:01:07

Don't worry, we can all think some daft things about parenting sometimes. And some responses on here can be less than diplomatic I'm afraid. But you should see it as a sign that we care!

And mums have a very good knack of making us doubt our own instincts! I know I can barely remember what I did with my 3 year old so not sure how my mum thinks she remembers 30 years ago!

KazBoyle Mon 03-Jan-11 19:06:57

Bumperlicious, there are so many family members with advice about how I'm bringing up my baby, It's hard to know what the right thing is when there are so many contradicting views...

Anyway New Years Resolution....Go with my own instinct!

Thanks everyone for your comments and a good old kick up the bum

catinthehat2 Mon 03-Jan-11 19:08:38

"Evidently I knew it was wrong just by the fact that I had to ask the question in the first place...I just wanted some reassurance that what I thought was correct..."

Exactly grin feel free to use my rolled up newspaper on the back of your mum's head whenever she comes up with something else terrifyingly bonkers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now