Talk

Advanced search

Thrush, a few questions...and am I being PFB

(17 Posts)
Wallace Sun 02-Jan-11 21:28:43

The F stands for FOURTH born btw blush

Ds3 (6 weeks) has white patches in his mouth which I presume are thrush, but he has no problems feeding and my nipples are fine.

I took him to the gp before chrstmas who prescriped him medicine. I asked the doc if I needed anything for me to prevent reinfection. He said no as I had no symptoms.

Anyway after being to the gp but before starting the medicine ds' mouth was looking better so I didn't give him the medicine.

However now it is looking worse again. I have tried the medicine a couple of times but he just hates the taste and spits it out.

This is the PFB bit - I am EBF and hate the thought of him having anything but breastmilk, I was cringing trying to give him the medicine with the thought of all that crap in it. blush

My other question - surely the doc is wrong about giving me nothing for my nipples?

Wallace Sun 02-Jan-11 21:45:13

A quick bump bfore I go to bed

InspectorGadget Sun 02-Jan-11 21:57:04

Yes. If either of you have thrush then BOTH of you must be treated. I had the opposite problem, I had it in my nipps but no sign in baby, GP refused to give baby any treatment as he had no symptoms. This is quite wrong, and eventually he got treatment too.

Look up Assosication of Breasfeeding Mothers, or LLL etc, they all have info on how to treat thrush.

HTH.

cluelessnchaos Sun 02-Jan-11 22:55:17

Ha Wallace I am being pf(ourth)b too. Exactly the same I picked up the meds for both of us and then took four days to start using them, and yes I had cream prescribed for me too.

MrsSnaplegs Sun 02-Jan-11 23:07:56

I currently have thrush in my breasts but DS symptom free. We were told be BFing support worker and gp we both needed treating. Medication available over the counter from pharmacist.

TheSugarPlumFairy Sun 02-Jan-11 23:19:16

try dactarin oral gel for your P4thB smile. I assume the doc gave you Nystatin which is largely useless in my experience.

You can get some canasten (clomitrizole 1%)for your nipples and see how you go from there.

As PP said if one of you is symptomatic the both of you need to be treated. Also, wash and sterilise anything that goes in LO's mouth (teethers, dummies, comfort toys etc).

Wallace Mon 03-Jan-11 07:54:15

Thanks for all the advice, I will go back (to a different gp) and ask for the gel and cream for me.

clueless- glad I'm not the only one being PFourthB!

cluelessnchaos Mon 03-Jan-11 08:26:36

The doc wouldn't give me the gel because he said there had been cases of babies choking on it, but seemed to think it was down to the inexperience of the parents so you should be fine.

MrsSnaplegs Mon 03-Jan-11 08:33:29

With the oral gel I have just used a tiny amount on a clean finger and rubbed it on roof of DS mouth - he then pushes his tongue up and it treats his whole mouth. Difficult to see how a child can choke unless you squirt tube into their mouth!

MoonUnitAlpha Mon 03-Jan-11 09:57:13

I had the gel when ds was 11 days old and there was never a danger of him choking on it. It cleared his mouth up in a couple of days - but he then got a thrush nappy rash so that had to be treated too. I also had the canestan cream for my nipples.

Wallace Mon 03-Jan-11 13:21:14

Thanks. He did have a sore bottom when I took him to the doc firdt time, but it cleared up quickly

TheSugarPlumFairy Mon 03-Jan-11 14:24:00

you can get the gel over the counter so no need for the doc to prescribe. smile

MoonUnitAlpha Mon 03-Jan-11 14:26:45

OTC I think they can only sell it for an older baby (4 months?).

AmeliaEarhart Mon 03-Jan-11 14:33:16

I was wondering about that - I picked up our prescriptions last week (canesten for me, daktarin for DS) and have been holding off using them as the leaflet for the gel says it's not for babies under 4 months and DS is only 8 weeks. Should I go ahead anyway?

MoonUnitAlpha Mon 03-Jan-11 14:38:01

The reason it's over 4 months is the choking risk. As I said, I used it from when ds was 11 days - so long as you're not silly enough to just stick of lump of gel in their mouth it's fine.

I was advised to spread a little on my nipple before the feed so it got around ds's mouth that way, and then smear a little with a clean finger around his mouth after the feed. Cleared up within a few days - you need to do it several times a day though, I think I did about 4x daily.

AmeliaEarhart Mon 03-Jan-11 14:41:52

Thanks. Will do. I'm not looking forward to it having witnessed his reaction to his first dose of calpol the other day - pure horror and disgust!

cluelessnchaos Mon 03-Jan-11 20:21:29

Agree about the choking risk, I used it with dd1 13 years ago and told the doctor but he is very picky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now