Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know where I can get boiron homeopathic remedy for colic in the uk?

(10 Posts)
Samraves Sat 01-Jan-11 23:10:17

Basically as above....

My cousin lives in Canada and she swears by this and says it had an amazing effect for her son. I am willing to try anything... Weird because although it seems to be a French product I can't seem to find a site which delivers to the uk.. Although this could be due to sleep deprived brain melt...

Any ideas? Thanks

onimolap Sat 01-Jan-11 23:14:34

Boiron is the manufacturer, and seems to have a range of products. What exactly are you trying to get hold of, and what are you hoping it will help with?

onimolap Sat 01-Jan-11 23:15:47

Sorry - read the title again, and seen it's for colic.

Could you ask your cousin to post you some?

Unwind Sat 01-Jan-11 23:22:20

Have you spoken to your health visitor?

Colic is a nightmare, but there really no reason to believe that homeopathy would help. And I would be very wary of buying unregulated products for a newborn

I hope that the colic passes soon. I remember the grim reality of being an exhausted zombie too well. I tried anything and everything in sheer desperation (including homeopathy). The only thing which really helped was having her in a wrap sling - effectively swaddled upright against me. A mechanical swing also seemed to work for short spells.

MoonUnitAlpha Sat 01-Jan-11 23:39:31

Homeopathy is a placebo, it won't do any harm as it's just water (possibly with sugar added).

Unwind Sat 01-Jan-11 23:49:34

there is nothing in it, and it is pure placebo, so long as it is correctly prepared by the manufacturers - there have been cases recently of infants being poisoned with homeopathic remedies, so I would have concerns about attempts to source them online

VickstaS Sun 02-Jan-11 13:52:51

As others have said homeopathy is pure placebo effect. Water would equally effective or ineffective! Your cousin's experience with homeopathy was nothing other than co-incidence.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 02-Jan-11 13:54:21

Homeopathy is just placebo - but it does work for some. If you are struggling, and are open to homeopathy, I would talk to a homeopath.

(I actually know a East London homeopath who is experienced with babies. Go figure.)

Samraves Sun 02-Jan-11 17:39:14

I am aware that many think homeopathy is just a waste of time... But I have had positive experiences with homeopathy myself for a chronic stomach condition. Unfortunately my homeopath has now moved :-(

Also if it is purely psychological- how comes it works for animals? Anyway for those who don't believe in it- no matter I can understand that, but I think t least it won't be so harmful as some medicines with awful side effects. The worst that can happen is nothing!

But I will err on the side of caution and either try and find a new local homeopath or else get my cousin to send some rather than order online...

Thanks for the advice

Unwind Sun 02-Jan-11 19:03:24

It doesn't work on animals beyond the placebo effect.

The placebo effect is seen in animals because of the subjectivity of the observations, and the expectations of the observer. In humans it works because it is impossible to separate the physical from the psychological.

I think that homeopaths who are "experienced with babies" are accustomed to selling snake oil to vulnerable, desperate parents. They are either deluded or dishonest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: