Talk

Advanced search

Evening screaming

(9 Posts)
loopylo Fri 31-Dec-10 20:02:42

Any advice willing accepted. My 3 month old DD has started to scream in the evnings after her bath as I get ready to feed her before her bed time (6.30pm bath) she is unconsolable for anything between 5 and 30 minutes which is really upsetting me. She occasionally does it when she is very tired and I've not managed to get her to nap in the day much. She goes bight red fusses at the breast without actually latching on and screams, kickiing her legs and punching her arms. If she were a toddler it would be a full blown temper tantrum. When she calms down-I've tried rocking, walking, patting, music, etc and does latch on she latches well feeds then will go down to sleep wity realatively little fuss. She is a small girl on just under the 25th centile for weight and 9th for height but has consistently put on enough weight each week and gets lots of wet nappies, and poos every day. She feeds reaguarly during the day-sometimes every hour or two but is sleeping 7.30-3am the 3.30am to 7am to nights good. I am worried its my milk there is a problem with-they get massively engorged at night so I think my supply is ok. !!! Any ideas what is the problem....I hate to see her crying.

WorrisomeHeart Fri 31-Dec-10 20:14:51

Hi Loopy

My 9 week old DS is very similar to your DD (even down to the sleeping/waking times!). I've put this crying jnag down to overstimulation and him winding down before the long sleep of the night. I doubt it's a milk problem for you, as DS is FF. I honestly think it's just the end of what is a long day for them. DS does it to some extent even when he's had a good napping day. I'm hoping it will stop when he's a bit older!!
Sorry, not much help, just wanted you to know you're not alone! grin

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Fri 31-Dec-10 20:25:00

Sounds like overstimulation. I'd skip or shorten the routine or start earlier as it might be too much for her? Give her time - she might be a bit too young. DS didn't like long routines until he was a bit older 4-5 months as he could tolerate staying awake a bit longer.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 31-Dec-10 21:44:17

loppylo I'd say it could be overstimulation too. Could you try her bath at 6pm instead?

It is distressig when they cry but it really doesn't sound like a supply problem at all.

AngelsfromtherealmsofgloryDog Fri 31-Dec-10 22:10:35

I'd guess overtiredness from lack of daytime sleep. I'd try bringing bedtime earlier and shorten the routne. Lots of babies this age can't stay awake more than 1.5 hours at a time without getting overtired.

loopylo Sat 01-Jan-11 08:08:05

I did wonder if it was overtiredness. She is a terrible napper. Especially when DH has the day off and wants to go and do things rather my stay at home and thrr walks out in the baby carrier as thats the only place I can get her to sleep,.

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Sat 01-Jan-11 09:33:53

Can you use the baby carrier when out and plan so that she gets the chance to nap in it at certain times of the day? We did that when DS was little - eg wander around the shops or walk in the park so she sleeps. She needs her sleep to grow, switch off for a bit etc - worth explaining that to your DH!

Porcelain Sat 01-Jan-11 10:48:17

This might help www.instinctiveparenting.com/flex/crying_and_emoti onal_release_in_babies_the_aware_parenting_approac h/163/1

The language is a bit fluffy but it works for us. I found that as long as ds needs are taken care of, fretting, bouncing and pacing the floor will prolong crying, while holding him and talking calmly let's him get it out of his system very quickly.

Also agree about naps in sling during the day. Even if you aren't going out, pop the sling on and potter about the house.

loopylo Sat 01-Jan-11 21:05:54

Thank you everyone. Porcelain-I think your right if I walk/rock etc she just settles then will start up immediately I lay her down to feed but tonight just held her rocked on the breast and talked to her while still on the breast and it lasted much less time. Plus think I have finally got DH to realise naps are important and playing loudly +++ after her bath is a bad thing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: