Talk

Advanced search

Too impatient for the let down

(7 Posts)
Bumperlicious Fri 31-Dec-10 20:00:50

Dd2 (14 weeks) has started fussing at feeds in the evening. She is crying and not staying latched on. I think she is impatient for the let down & not staying on long enough to get it to come. Just now & yesterday I pumped to get the let down & that seemed to help. But I don't want to have to do that every time.

The thing is I seem to remember having the same thing with dd1 & I tried everything to encourage the let down but eventually I ended up just giving her ebm in the evening but dd2 is a bit of a bottle refuser & I don't want to do that anyway.

Does anyone have any advice or experience?

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Fri 31-Dec-10 20:22:41

Could she actually be tired and is fussing as she wants to feed to sleep? Might be worth trying to feed somewhere quiet and putting to bed earlier?

Bumperlicious Fri 31-Dec-10 20:29:16

Hmmm maybe. She tends to be up feeding most of the evening and the problem is when I go 'somewhere quiet' I end up stuck upstairs all evening

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Fri 31-Dec-10 21:01:08

I remember DS's sleep changing around 3 months - he needed more quiet to go to sleep otherwise he'd get overtired and wouldn't settle. Took ages to realise his sleepy window was around 6.30 - if we missed it (so feeding had to start around 6) then I'd be buggered and would take hours to settle. DH and I had a lot of dinners separately! It did pass though so maybe keep trying an early bedtime and putting down and see what happens.

chabbychic Fri 31-Dec-10 21:02:32

I had an impatient feeder. Was really hard. I managed to do it by swapping sides often and trying to relax as much as possible. It does get easier!

PenguinArmy Fri 31-Dec-10 23:18:59

Same as chabbychic here. Lots of switch feeding, sometimes distraction works, giving her a frozen toy to chomp on and she latched on and off, but she's a bit older.

Once I had ruled out silent reflux, I just resigned myself to it (in a good way). For the most part it's OK now except for teething and she's impossible to feed in public.

Kellymom has a good section on fussy eaters, but my feeling is that some babies are just born that way. Something will work for a couple of nights and it stops working.

I have attributed DD's behaviour to slow let-down as once we get there, we're fine.

Bumperlicious Fri 31-Dec-10 23:36:45

It was awful with dd1, I just hope it gets better with dd2. Thanks for the replies

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: