Talk

Advanced search

Any idea what this behaviour means?

(5 Posts)
cat811 Fri 31-Dec-10 19:21:50

Dd is 15weeks and ebf. For the last few weeks she has seemed v unsettled when feeding, and will quite often pull away crying, and try to sit up. Sometimes this seems to mean she needs winding, and she'll sit there happily and then burp - but the rest of the time she screams and goes rigid and I can't get her to bend to sit. If I then try to put her back to the breast,half the time she'll go straight back on happily, and then rest she'll try to sit up again, still crying, and it takes ages to calm her (she will then always eventually continue to feed, so it doesn't seem to be that's she's not hungry anymore)

This happens at various points during feeding - I don't have a fast letdown, and although I wondered if it might be slow and that was frustrating her, there is often milk there when she pulls away.

Is this silent reflux? Or something else? Or is it a temporary thing? Any ideas at all?
She has had a cold recently so I also wondered if it might be that she was struggling to breathe while feeding - but wasn't sure how that explained the going rigid bit?
Sorry for long one, but wanted to cover everything I'd noticed!
Thanks in advance.

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Fri 31-Dec-10 19:26:49

It's very similar to my DD who did have silent reflux. Feeding time was very difficult with going rigid as you describe. I used to have to walk her about holding her to feed upright which isn't the easiest BF position.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 31-Dec-10 22:27:42

cat has her cold gone and is she still doing it?

Haven't got any advice really apart from calling a bfing counsellor or one of the bfing helplines.

Hopefully this will bump it for you to and get you someone who is trained.

cat811 Fri 31-Dec-10 22:45:06

She's still got the cold - and it's still happening, but it's the fact that it's not every feed that seems strange - I would have thought that if she was doing it because of struggling with blocked nose, then wouldn't it happen every time?
Also Ken, she seems to have these episodes much less when feeding while we're both lying down in bed - does that make it less likely that it's silent reflux, if they need to be upright with that?
Thanks for replies - will try a bf counsellor, but any other thoughts welcome!

Lastyearsmodel Fri 31-Dec-10 23:05:45

DD2 (16 weeks) has started doing this. I thought it was wind but it isn't always. Sometimes it's tiredness/irritation because she's not having long daytime sleeps, so she's still tired and a bit hungry when she wakes up, but not hungry enough to settle for a good feed.

And sometimes I think it's because at this age they're really starting to realise they can move around, so it's a bit of frustration and the desire to get going. But with a bit of tiredness mixed in grin.

Plus she doesn't want to feed as much as when she was newborn, but I probably keep offering too often and she's getting cross with me.

DD2 never does it lying down.

Do you notice it more at certain times of day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now