Talk

Advanced search

Heat Magazine - pathetic coverage of BF

(43 Posts)
peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 19:43:08

This is not a debate whether or not Natalie Cassidy should be breastfeeding or not. Nor is it actually any of our business or perhaps interest.

However have a look at this - awful coverage from Heat sad

daretodream Thu 30-Dec-10 19:47:06

What a shame for her and her baby that she was so poorly informed and supported to continue breastfeeding sad

And what a shame such utter tripe is appearing in print.

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 19:48:31

Again the myth of how much you can express = how much milk you have is cropping up isn't it.

gallicgirl Thu 30-Dec-10 19:51:10

Makes you wonder what new mums are told.

We had a whole session on breastfeeding as part of NCT class and midwife tells me I'll get lots of support once baby is born. I haven't been to NHS antenatal classes to compare the info though.

The attitude of the magazine doesn't help. Is it aimed at adults or teenagers? I'm not familiar with it.

daretodream Thu 30-Dec-10 19:51:10

Yes. I could barely express a couple of ounces at a time but I ebf twins!!

I just wish people were better informed - she says she wanted to keep going till 6 months - chances are she could have done as she wanted if she'd just had the right advice and support.

And it is so frustrating that the audience of Heat are now also exposed to more misinformation and confidence-sapping tripe about breastfeeding and how hit-or-miss it is.

daretodream Thu 30-Dec-10 19:51:53

Sorry gallic, x-posts.

heat is, I think, aimed at 14-20ish year olds.

eviscerateyourmemory Thu 30-Dec-10 19:54:18

Its a shame that Natalie didnt have access to better information and support, and also that the readers of heat have been exposed to this, and might think that expressing is some measure of how much milk there is.

singingcat Thu 30-Dec-10 19:56:12

It's Heat not the BMJ. What did you expect?

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 19:58:22

I didn't expect quite that derrogation!

daretodream Thu 30-Dec-10 20:00:33

It's not unreasonable to expect someone intelligent (Natalie Cassidy) to be well enough informed and supported about a natural process (breastfeeding) that she is able to feed her baby as she wishes (by breastfeeding to six months, as she says she hoped to do).

But you are right that we shouldn't be surprised that such rubbish appears in a publication like Heat. Just such a shame that a popular magazine with a young female readership is perpetrating the usual bobbins about breastfeeding being 'tricky'.

mosschops30 Thu 30-Dec-10 20:01:20

I agree its heat fgs, hardly a well recognised and respected publication

mosschops30 Thu 30-Dec-10 20:01:21

I agree its heat fgs, hardly a well recognised and respected publication

StealthPolarBear Thu 30-Dec-10 20:01:58

Dreadful dreadful article
ewwwwww and bitty??

letsfacethemusic Thu 30-Dec-10 20:02:32

I think the following:

- it's nasty that they make b/f out to be something squeamish about;
- it's a shame Natalie didn't have more support and seems misinformed; but
- it's nice to see breastfeeding difficulties spoken about in the media, even if there is no information on how to help with them. The number of prejudiced people I've met who assume people are bottlfeeding because they're vain/lazy whatever is astounding. I don't think those people realise just how tough it can be and just how hard some people have to try with it.

PassionKiss Thu 30-Dec-10 20:05:35

I could never express anything much and I ebf for five months (then mixed fed but still bf-ing now at 8 months). I can't explain why but I just had confidence that my body could feed my baby (my mum was very supportive which was a huge help).

I don't get this obsession with expressing - my HV was always on about "expressing a lovely big bottle of milk for bedtimes" and how useful it was to "see how much they're getting" hmm .

Natalie obviously didn't have good support, poor her.

Heat magazine is just vile these days angry

pinkyp Thu 30-Dec-10 20:06:04

i think the way they have made breastfeeding sound disgusting (ewwwww and they dont want to think about it whilst eating there lunch) is disgraceful.

YuleTideD0G Thu 30-Dec-10 20:07:23

bitty hmm still no more than I'd expect, it's in Heat afterall

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 20:08:07

I am not really criticising it for having crap bf advice (as it is heat). It is the way they call it disgusting and use words such as bitty and say it is all too much information sad

pinkyp Thu 30-Dec-10 20:18:46

I agree with you peppa, its how its been worded. Dont really expect heat to give bf o ff advice. I've complained to them! if i was younger and not as confident about bf it'd make me feel embaressed to feed/talk about in public as i'd be under the impression ppl thought like this

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 20:21:57

Yes - thats exactly it!

eviscerateyourmemory Thu 30-Dec-10 20:24:37

You have a point singingcat. It is also a shame that the BMJ doesnt include more topical celebrity gossip grin

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 20:31:10

Perhaps there is a gap in the market grin

pink4ever Thu 30-Dec-10 20:32:18

Havent seen article but Heat is a pile of shite anyway. But dont like the frankly sanctimonious,bordering on the evangelical tone that some posters take when it comes to bf. I couldnt breastfeed. Nothing to do with lack of trying or support. Had bf midwife and hv regularly coming round to offer advice.My baby simply would not latch on. As he was a small baby he lost loads of weight and I had no choice but to ff(flame me!). So yes bf can be tricky!(and stop reading Heat-its for kids).

pinkyp Thu 30-Dec-10 20:37:40

no ones having a go at her for choosing to forumla feed and her not being able to breastfeed. Its how its worded, i'd feel the same if it was about formula feeding - its something you need to read first before you get on your high horse.

MrsPickles Thu 30-Dec-10 20:42:29

Sad again at not being able to express = not having enough milk. Wish this was covered in breastfeeding classes (which I did get in my area), a real live baby to your breast stimulates all the milk producing hormones that a pump may well not! We are designed to produce for our own babies not electric pumping machines!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: