Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Can bf make it hard to lose weight?

(5 Posts)
SlightlyDoolally Thu 30-Dec-10 19:34:19

Just wondering really, as most people seem to find the opposite. DS is 21 months and still having 2 or 3 feeds a day (or lots more if he is poorly). I am still 10 lbs heavier than before I got pregnant, despite eating the same as before and having roughly the same activity level. So could it be the bf that is stopping me losing the weight?

Would be interested to know if others have found this to be the case, as most people I know in RL seem to find that bf makes the weight drop off so I would have expected to be really skinny by now!

Not hugely bothered, as still the same dress size as before (12) and not overweight for my height, but would like to know whether I just need to work harder at dieting or whether I can blame it on bf smile

Panzee Thu 30-Dec-10 19:35:11

I put on weight when breastfeeding. I was always really hungry when feeding, and I gave in to that hunger!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 30-Dec-10 19:38:57

I only lose weight when I stop breastfeeding. For some people I think the body tries to keep a higher ratio of fat in store for any possible lean times ahead.

Also, stopping bf'ing sometimes means you aren't so hungry so you just eat less!!

SlightlyDoolally Thu 30-Dec-10 19:45:10

Panzee, I used to feel super-hungry in the early months, so ate loads and was pleased that my weight initially dropped anyway. Now, though, I eat what I ate before I was pregnant and am still heavier which is annoying.

ILike, I'm hoping that is the case with me: that I'm storing fat which will magically disappear with no effort from me when DS decides to stop bf smile

pinkyp Thu 30-Dec-10 20:39:24

I've been trapped next to a terrys chocolate orange whilst bf my son...had to eat it to get rid of it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: