Talk

Advanced search

fussy when feeding

(6 Posts)
pinkyp Thu 30-Dec-10 19:22:37

my breastfed 3 week old sometimes becomes fussy when he's feeding, not every feed but a few times a day. He'll feed fine for 15 mins then he'll spit boob out, cry for more latch back on and cry, spit it out, stretch his legs and arms etc. Any ideas why? this can go on for hours...theres still milk there (i've checked lol)

JoinTheDots Thu 30-Dec-10 19:43:34

Could be he needs winding? Or gets bored having to suck for the milk after initial speedy let down of milk... or he might just want to reposition.

I remember mine being like this and worrying she was not getting enough milk / what she needed, but having a little break to wind and reposition, or changing sides if it had been a while on the first one helped usually.

They have such small tummies, little and often is not unusual.

Congrats on the new arrival!

pinkyp Thu 30-Dec-10 20:20:48

thank u I just dont know when he does this if he's finished or not. i'd hate to think i was forcing him to feed or not feeding him enough.

PenguinArmy Fri 31-Dec-10 04:46:04

A lot of us just resigned ourselves to fussy eaters.

If you google fussy eaters in kellymom, there is a good comprehensive section on identifying possible causes.

MissRedIndie Fri 31-Dec-10 05:41:04

Sounds like textbook cluster feeding to me, kellymom also explains well, mine did exactly the same when a few weeks old. They do it to build your supply. It doesn't last for that many weeks so don't panic! Best advice I was given was to just go with it and not stress. Good luck!

LovelyJuggly Fri 31-Dec-10 06:23:58

my Joe is a fussy eater too that I have to garnish my nipples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now