Talk

Advanced search

My baby wants to breastfeed 40,000 times a day!

(10 Posts)
HereMeRoar Thu 30-Dec-10 12:30:21

And it's doing my head in angry.

She's dc3 and 13 months so I'm not new to this, but oh the clinginess. Every time I try to do anything, grrrr. She's had a bad cold and cough for the last 2 weeks and not really been eating much. Worst thing is the feeding to sleep which takes blimmin ages and then for naps I can't put her down or she wakes.

I don't think I'm looking for solutions really, but by heck it's annoying right now.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 30-Dec-10 14:53:23

God, how exhausting and annoying!

Sometimes, when a child is clingy, if you can be even more clingy back at them, that settles them down, and you can get a bit of time free ...

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 15:11:06

Know how annoying it can be but if she's not feeling well you can't really blame her for wanting some nice warm milk and a cuddle from you.

She'll get better soon smile

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 20:00:10

Can you feed her lying down cuddled up in bed then sneak off when she drops off?

And I feel your pain - DS2 has been very similar with a cold but is only 4 months so more expected smile

RoadCraftGuru Thu 30-Dec-10 20:02:15

Aw, 40,000 is indeed a lot.

But think how annoying it'd be if you couldn't settle her to sleep with a good bf though smile

HereMeRoar Thu 30-Dec-10 20:54:21

Thanks smile. Dh has taken her out in the car to run an errand after she woke yet again the second her head touched the mattress, having been asleep in my arms for over an hour angry. Peppa -I could feed her to sleep lying down, but 3 problems: firstly the other 2 dcs who usually start killing each other noisily any time I try anything like that, secondly as soon as I get up she wakes, and thridly, if she woke in our bed without me there she'd crawl or walk all over it and probably fall out and break a limb, as it's quite high and she's not safe to climb down yet sad.

I just hope it eases off soon. Between the 5 of us one person or another seems to have been ill for weeks now. I've been bf one dc or more for 5.8 years now and times like this are still just as wearing, if not more.

Mind you, they do grow up too fast as well wink.

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 21:03:28

sad Ah well was worth a try

Me too - well, have been pregnant or breastfeeding somebody or other grin for 5.4 years now.

LovelyJuggly Fri 31-Dec-10 06:26:58

I'll be happy to breastfeed your baby to take the pressure off of you. I have more milk stored than a dairy farm.

jemjabella Fri 31-Dec-10 13:37:29

My sympathies. Also have a very clingy 13.5mo old right now, who has gone from little miss independent to not even wanting to be left with her Dad so I can shower. Assuming it's her age and another phase of separation anxiety or something, but by god am I thank she's my only baby right now.

AngelsfromtherealmsofgloryDog Fri 31-Dec-10 14:22:37

There's a developmental spurt around 55 weeks (can be a week or two either side, and if your LO was born early, they'll hit it late).

There is a great book explaining it called The Wonder Weeks by two scientists who researched all the developmental spurts up to 20 months or so.

They describe behaviour in the run up to developmental spurts as 'clinging, crying and cranky'. This spurt is also responsible for the 13 month sleep regression.

You can read the explanation in the Wonder Weeks here (it's page 96 in the document, or 106 in Acrobat).

Once the LOs hit the spurt, all this should ease off.

Sympathies, though: my 12 m.o. has just started this - he's not feeding more, but is very clingy. Normally he prefers DH to me any time, but now he has hysterics if I leave him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: