Talk

Advanced search

Biting, will she learn not to?

(3 Posts)
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 29-Dec-10 22:30:01

DD has just got her two bottom front teeth (8 months old). She has also started biting me (gave me a visible scratch today). When she bites I pull her in tight so she has to let go. If she does it again I put her down and stop offering. I also say, "no" if I remember. She has only been doing it for a few days, but it seems to getting more frequent, and I am getting to the stage where I have to steel myself to offer. She also seems to bite more if I feed sitting up, rather than lying down. I think if she is genuinely hungry then she doesn't bite, but I am pretty bad at telling if she is hungry, and tend to offer if she seems unhappy about something.

I really don't want to have to stop breastfeeding her, so can you reassure me that she will learn not to/ this is just a phase?

RuthChan Thu 30-Dec-10 12:38:47

She will learn not to if you teach her.
My DD did the same thing about the same age.
I had little patience with being chewed on. It was very painful and she used to smile at me in a very knowing way when she did it!
I made my point by saying 'no' sternly and by sticking her on the floor whenever she did it. She soon learned that if she wanted to actually feed she would have to stop biting.
It didn't last long.
Good luck!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Dec-10 19:04:00

Thanks - I wasn't sure if she was too young to learn that her behaviour was "bad".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now