Talk

Advanced search

Stopping bf at 2.5- support please

(8 Posts)
BooBooGlass Wed 29-Dec-10 10:18:24

So after many false starts I'm definately definately stopping bfing ds. He's had 30 months of the good stuff, far far longer than I ever intended, and I've wanted to give up since the summer really. He went to bed last night without askign for any milk, and he's been looked after twice overnight this month (a rare occasion) and has been absolutely fine without it so I think he is ready too. He's asked twice this morning and I've said it's all gone as he's a big boy now, but my left boob is starting to feel a bit full and uncomfortable. The thought of mastitis really terrifies me tbh, I've had it twice with each dc and it knocked me for 6. I'm going to try and hand express if I can do that without stimulating more milk.
With dd I went completely cold turkey at a year and I was in agony for about a week. I'm just lookign for some hand holding for the next week or so, I need to be told to keep strong so I don't give in. It has started to feel intrusive to me tbh, given the choice ds would feed all day, so I am unashamedly admittign that I am doign this for my benefit. But after so long, I am ok with that. I've done enough for him in that respect. Any experiences of weanign at about this age? Any distraction tips? I can see that he will probably pounce every time I sit down.

Al1son Wed 29-Dec-10 10:27:19

Both of mine weaned at 3Y so a few months later than this but I had started refusing during the day quite a while before this. They only had bedtime feeds for the last 3 or 4 months. That meant that I didn't have any discomfort because I was already producing so little.

With DD1 I got DH to started reading the bedtime story and settling her so I wasn't there to ask and DD2 just forgot to ask because we were on holiday so the routine changed.

I suppose that doesn't help you much if you don't want to carry on with the bedtime feeds.
Sorry.

Mishy1234 Wed 29-Dec-10 10:31:16

Firstly, well done for feeding for so long. It's a real achievement.

DS1 is nearly 3 and is now down to 1 feed in the morning occasionally (if I don't get moving fast enough!).

My advice is to keep your DS as busy as possible. Keep him moving and engaged in other things, especially during the times he usually likes to feed. Can be tricky I know and exhausting, but that's how I've managed to get DS's feeding frequency down. I haven't stopped completely as I'm feeding DS2, but DS1 asks very infrequently now.

As for your discomfort I think you're right to hand express and just keep an eye out for mastitis.

Hope all goes well over the next week or so. I'll keep looking back to see how you're getting on.

boogeek Wed 29-Dec-10 10:34:38

I've done this twice...unfortunately never without becoming pregnant again: I have no idea how and if I will ever manage to wean #3 grin as there is no #4 planned.
Scond a major change in routine though: mine were dropping off because of pregnancy anyway but my eldest weaned on holiday and my second when we moved her in to share a bedroom with her sister.
And don't sit down...
Cutting back gradually, even at this age, is almost certainly better for you mastitis-wise; could you just do bedtime feeds for a week or so while your supply adjusts? (He is old enough to understand that this is just a bedtime thing now.)

BooBooGlass Wed 29-Dec-10 10:37:03

Thanks everyone
He does understand, I'm sure of that. I think I have just been a bit lax by allowing him to feed pretty much whenever he wants. I know distraction is the key, I'm goign to take him out in a minute (nap time) so he can have a sleep in his buggy and go and choose a new jigsaw so we can do that when he asks- jigsaws are his new big thing grin
Is it worth substituting a cup of cows milk whenever he asks?

twinklingfairy Wed 29-Dec-10 10:47:36

Oh yes. I do that with my DS (2 yrs 2 months)
Or I did that as a distraction. He now only feeds morning and night and not all that regularily either. He takes the odd afternoon feed but not often.
It was quite easy, too easy, to cut it down with him. So I defo second or third, the plan to cut daY FEEDS OUT FIRST THEN IT SHOULD BE EASIER TO CUT (oh, oops!) night feeds.
tbh, if I didn't ask DS he would not bother with the night feeds at all, though he does generally still like his morning ones.
I am not sure what my plans are for stopping time, but I am not ready yet. Might think when he is about 2.5.
It is defo me keeping it going though blush
He is my last and I don't want to stop yet.

MumNWLondon Wed 29-Dec-10 16:44:48

Well done for feeding for so long. And yes keep strong!

Don't worry about using breast pump to relief discomfort (obviously just take off enough to relief discomfort though), yes it will stimulate more but it will still wind down (within a couple of weeks) and its better than getting mastitis or being really uncomfortable.

BooBooGlass Wed 29-Dec-10 18:52:20

Just stopping in to say so far, so good. Has gone to bed with no fuss but my left side still feels very sore, which is odd as the right is the one he feeds most from, but that feels fine. Am going to enjoy my briefly reinflated magnificent bosom wink before they turn into sad little things again and try an keep this up. I am pleasantly surprised by how it's gone today actually, I had anticipated it being much harder, and it's makign me wish I'd just persevered earlier really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: