Talk

Advanced search

4 month and possible thrush or is it?

(3 Posts)
ricketyrock Wed 29-Dec-10 00:52:49

I've been getting pain in my nipple and breast when dd latches on for the last 24 hours. I started noticing it when she was taking ages to come off the breast yesterday and comfort sucking. This comfort sucking seems to have increased recently as have her feeds. It doesn't hurt much after feeding just when she latches on and through the feed and only on one side. So im wondering if it could be growth spurt or teething related affecting her latch or thrush. Any shared experience much appreciated. Bf has gone so well bar a couple of expressing related problems causing enforcement. Up til now.

Al1son Wed 29-Dec-10 10:33:30

I think your probably right that she's not latched on properly. You don't say how old she is but as they grow the shape of their mouth and the angle you hold them at changes. That might explain why the feeds are taking longer too. Try a few different positions and see if you can get her to latch on better.

You sound like you're doing really well so don't be disheartened. Most people go through sticky periods now and then no matter how well it is going overall.

TheSugarPlumFairy Wed 29-Dec-10 11:02:38

Thrush feels like a very sharp zinging pain when your baby latches on. Someone described it as though there were little shards of glass in your nipple and that is the best description i have heard of it. THe pain stops as soon as the baby does.

When i had it i never noticed any white residue on the nipple but i think some people do. It was easier to spot in DD's mouth. She had small white spots on the roof of her mouth. If you google you will see lots of photos of babies with really crusty mouths. I think these are extreme cases. DD just had the spots and a tender palette which made her very fussy at feeding. Some people also notice nappy rash in LO's too that doesn't seem to be helped by the normal nappy rash cremes.

It probably wouldn't hurt to do a course of daktarin oral gel for your LO and some canastan for you. Have heard it suggested that the daktarin oral gel can also be applied to your nipples but not sure how effective that is. Maybe talk to your pharmacist?

You should probably also give all of your bras a really good hot wash and wash and resterilise everything that goes into LO's mouth repeatedly until it is cleared up.

HTH. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: