Talk

Advanced search

Tips to get rid of this last top up and get back to ebf

(9 Posts)
herjazz Tue 28-Dec-10 17:56:36

Ok. I never wanted to give formula but hey ho was one of those unavoidable things after I got hospitalised with awful mastitis and needed ivs. And my one (!) stash of ebm in freezer was used.

The whole awful experience/ lack of pump for 20 odd hrs in hossie / baby unable go stay with me on ward did adversly affect my supply. Was 3 weeks ago now but am still giving a bottle in the evening/ early night after exhaustive bfs and crying. It's now about 3 oz

So how can I drop it altogether and get back to where we were? Tia

hairymelons Wed 29-Dec-10 16:45:47

I would keep reducing it and just feed as much as possible the rest of the time to boost your supply. You might feel like you're running low but treat it as a growth spurt, you'll catch up in a couple of days.
How old is your baby?
I am horrified that you weren't given a pump.

MumNWLondon Wed 29-Dec-10 16:47:50

don't want to see post unanswered...

- what happens if you BF before the top up - will baby take less?

- if you already BF first, offer only 2.5 oz and don't worry if it gets finishes. gradually cut down by 0.5oz every couple of days....

teenyweenytadpole Wed 29-Dec-10 16:49:42

I agree, if your baby is still young, could you consider a quiet/cuddly day at home in bed, resting, eating well, and feeding as much as possible? Your milk supply should soon catch up, but lots of skin to skin contact and cuddles will certainly help.

Zimm Wed 29-Dec-10 21:06:48

Mastitis and no pump?????????? Seriously?

herjazz Wed 29-Dec-10 22:34:55

Cheers for replies

Yes it took until the second ward round the day after I was admitted in the night for a pump to be found. Was pretty uncomfortable to say the least (tho I was kind of out of it the first night as the infection had got into my blood). Least they sorted me out in that respect v quickly. I was in a bad way. Had no idea at all mastitis could get so out of hand and life threatening. I'd only started to feel some breast pain in the evening a few hrs before it all kicked off.

My baby is 15 weeks old. With the top up it's somewhere between the cluster of feeds in the evening. So he has fed before. And then feeds afterwards so it doesn't seem to satisy him. He does get a bit fretful and impatient with the bfing at this time. As tho it is not fast enough for him. I've found walking round a bit till I feel my let down helps

Will have to wait till my other dc are back at school / preschool to get some rest and babymoon time!

Thanks again

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 15:35:28

herjazz well done for keeping feeding, you are a star grin

Thought you might like to read this on reducing formula top-ups

Have you tried expressing in the morning and offering that as a top-up instead? I could never get enough but its worked for a few of my friends. One didn't even have to express, she just collected the milk in breastshells envy

herjazz Thu 06-Jan-11 23:54:47

Belated thankyou jjj. Have had dodgy broadband. Some good tips there. And cheers for compliment!

I'm struggling to lose the top up as he's fussing so much. However, I'm starting to see that a lot of this is quite normal (distractable/ pulling off stuff) and it's not necessarily the end of breastfeeding. With bit more time, rest and effort I can get this back on track

I can see that having bottles has made him a bit impatient and frustrated after my initial let down has passed. Have looked that up on kellymom too

So plenty of stuff to try. Thanks again ladies

herjazz Thu 06-Jan-11 23:57:21

Oh and am very green indeed at the thought of collecting milk in breastshells!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now