Talk

Advanced search

So by what time is supply established?

(4 Posts)
Mammie81 Tue 28-Dec-10 16:13:37

Im on week 3/week 4 and I def. have more milk. Baby of course is growing so has to up my supply, but what I dont get is, is supply 'set' or established by a certain point in time or is it always possible to up it?

Some sites Ive seen say 6 weeks but I wont surely have enough milk at 6 weeks for a 6 month old?

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Dec-10 16:17:38

no, supply is never "set". it changes depending on how much your baby feeds. when they have growth spurts they will feed more, telling your body to produce more milk

established just means that your supply has settled down from the initial hormone-driven stage into a proper supply/demand-based state, and you and baby are happy with how it is all going

there is no particular time for BF to become established, it's quite a personal thing I think. I am not sure why the magical 6 week mark is mentioned so often tbh. Some people get on brilliantly with breastfeeding and would say it was established very early on.
others may have a lot of problems and may not feel it is fully establishe until those are out of the way and all is going well

MoonUnitAlpha Tue 28-Dec-10 16:52:02

Agree with thisisyesterday that your supply will always change according to demand - for example my ds slept through for a few weeks and I quickly adjusted to no night feeds, now he's waking up twice in the night again!

clarabellarocks Tue 28-Dec-10 17:45:30

Ohh I want to follow this one. I'm the same stage - 3 and a half weeks and whilst things are easier and the engorgement has passed my breasts are still quite full and tender, especially on a night so I'm hoping it does get easier and more comfy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: